A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Help] - Spnsorship vs full IP sale

Adventurer,Futurist, Egomaniac

Question [Help] - Spnsorship vs full IP sale

Hey all,

OK, I know that discussing $$ on here is frowned upon, but I have a more general question that shouldn't need to involve specific prices.

Of course if you sell your source, and indeed the whole IP the price goes up, but about by how much do you figure?

I wrote a very decent flash game for which I have created a web version and both iPhone and iPad versions. My original intent was to sell the sponsorship for the web rights and release the iOS games on my own, but a sponsor has asked to buy the whole thing... to OWN the game.

I've never done a full source/IP sale, so I'm a little unclear where to value that? Should the price double? Go up by 10x the orig price? Anyone with any experience on what the going rate for the FLA/IP is vs what the rate would be for a primary sponsorship?

Thanks!
    Chris

sophisticated
    First of all, congratulations on creating something for web, iPhone, iPad, carrying it through AND having someone willing to pay for an primary rights to it - this is an achievement.

I don't think anyone will be able to help you with this pricing dilemma. There isn't a unified multiplier for all games. There are recommendations, but each situation is different and really depends on the quality and potential of the product. I'd suggest trying to figure out how much money (realistically) you'd make if you'd distributed each version separately on your own and ask for that much plus some 25%.

Bat it back to them. Go down the lines of "You guys have a budget for this, a figure in mind, you give me a starting figure and we can take it from there".

Let them get the ball rolling, they want to buy it. The may just be sniffing around hoping you fire over a low figure which they will bite your hand off for.

If you're selling the IP the value goes up a hell of a lot. Once that's sold it's gone forever, there are no sequels for you, not even overtly similar games.

Squize.

Adventurer,Futurist, Egomaniac
    Killer,

Thanks guys... wish me luck!!