A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Pimp] DN8

Hybrid View

[Pimp] DN8

DN8, our latest game, sponsored by Newgrounds, right here.

I'm really pleased with it, the procedural routines for generating the baddies work quite well, and we've managed to get a ton of sprites on screen.

As this is a game development forum rather than a game pimping one, any questions about how it does its thing just ask.

Hope you enjoy it,

Squize.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Rather than a bug, I'll call it an unintended feature: I any boss with the /|\ attack pattern is literally just a b*tch coughing up 1up shrooms. Honestly, my first encounter with one left him dead and me with 35 lives. The last level was almost a joke (ie. EXTRA LIFE! spam). I think I finished with 60-70 lives. Excellent execution though. Those types of attack patterns are precisely what I wanted to see in Star Destroyer 2, pre-project-disappearing-from-my-hdd, that is.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the first level after the center area (where you effectively come back to the --- at the end of the map) was incredibly slow motion. Every other level ran smooth and sexy. I think it was the 3rd to last level.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImprisonedPride View Post
    EDIT: Oh yeah, the first level after the center area (where you effectively come back to the --- at the end of the map) was incredibly slow motion. Every other level ran smooth and sexy. I think it was the 3rd to last level.
    The last level you get an upgrade at.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    I like this one. I like the enemy patterns and the way you streamlined gameplay by having the power-ups/abilities tied to the particular stage. Something to think about. Nice move with the drum & bass soundtrack.

It's good to see you finally got the opportunity to implement the demo scene graphics in a game, haha.

Now I remember why I've not posted the last couple of games here, coder Schadenfreude

IP it is intended rather than a bug. It's beating the system. If players discover it and take advantage of it, then great, they've outsmarted the game.
    The whole concept of this game was to make a casual bullet hell, hence the mouse control and auto-fire. The grazing "glitch" is just a part of that, I want people to complete the game. From the very first level where its impossible to die, to showing the player the baddies paths in advance to making sure that the power-ups are always more than powerful enough for every level.

I want people to beat the game, there's no point me killing myself making levels that only the hardcore few will see, and as a player myself I want to play games that I think I can beat.

So yeah, feels like a bug, its not

Cheers Bryce man, I just had to use those effects somewhere, although I was well into the game before I realised I didn't have enough written. Kinda backfired

Squize.

Very good game!
    One different background animation for each level? Wow that was a lot of work.
    The baddies trajectory is one of the originality of the game, I feel you should have put more emphasis on it. I would have used greater line width, and nice glow effects on these lines. Right now they look a bit like "debug" drawings.

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Badass as ever Squizie. Take long to finish it all?
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

Thanks Sietjp.

I did want a blend mode effect on the paths, but there wasn't just the cpu time to do it. It's not perfect as it is, but I don't think it jars too badly with the sprites having a very retro style.

Cheers Hooly. I think I started it mid-Feb but was still working on and off on the RPG. Went up for sale end of March, so was in bidding limbo between then and launch ( It wasn't actually finished when I tried selling it, which worked well actually. The nature of the bids helped determine how much more I added to it ).
    It was only meant to take 3 weeks, so I crapped on that deadline

Squize.