A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Concerned re FP 10.3 and "cookies"

Question Concerned re FP 10.3 and "cookies"

There's been a lot of fuss over Flash "cookies", and now FP 10.3 will allow easy clearing of cookies via the browser's own interface (AFAIK).

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/7...wlc=1305314393

What concerns me is all the games that store user high scores and level progress via Local Shared Object (AKA "cookies"). People will be clearing their browser cookies and then complaining they lost game progress.

Am I misunderstanding how Adobe will implement this? Also I know that such info can be stored via a database on a server somewhere instead, but really... Local Object is so much simpler and plenty of games already are set up like this and will not be revised.

Anyone else share my concerns?

Not really. I mean, I would assume most online gamers will know what cookies are for and how Flash games use them if they know what a cookie is in the first place.

I think an ample amount of notifications should be enough to warn users that deleting their Flash cookies will delete their game progress, but I guess we'll have to see where this goes...
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

This might be a bit of a problem to begin with but I think that users will quickly learn that they can't clear their Flash cookies and expect to keep their settings and progress. It shouldn't really be an issue long-term.

Depends on the implementation though, doesn't it? From what I've read, they keep saying they will allow the "cookies" to be cleared through the same methods the browser normally does. So there's a chance it will be a single button click clearing them all.

Note: I have some players who will uninstall Flash, thinking it's malware, then complain to me the games don't work.