A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Projector file 'restores window/breaks FS mode' after loading external file...

Projector file 'restores window/breaks FS mode' after loading external file...

Hi guys,

Thanks to this forum I'm now able to load external files from my projector .exe.

However, I now have a new problem, each time I request a file to be loaded the projector will break out of fullscreen mode and revert to being in a window.

Is there any way of getting it to retain it's fullscreen status whilst loading stuff externally? I remember it working like this by default in the old days.

I read something about publishing the .SWF as a previous revisions (say, Flash 7/8 - and then publishing to .exe from the drop-down in the player) but then it will lose the AS3.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm now on the hunt for Flash Standalone Player v9r47. If anyone has a copy I'd greatly appreciate it sending my way.
    Last edited by DavidFallows; 10-14-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Is there any way of getting it to retain it's fullscreen status whilst loading stuff externally?
    No. It's a "security feature" so your app can't do things that would affect the users machine without them knowing about it, or being able to do something about it. The only way around this is with a third party swf2exe tool.

'm now on the hunt for Flash Standalone Player v9r47. If anyone has a copy I'd greatly appreciate it sending my way
    Go get it yourself from the Flash Player Archive
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

Hi Northcode,

I'd like to thank you for your replies to everyone on .exe subjects, I've seen your anme across many forums addressing these problems and I wouldn't have gotten this far without reading the advice you've given to others.

I've looked into 3rd party exe tools but I'm unsure as to which one I should pay for, on top of that I was figuring there was a solution to the problem without resorting to anything else. Can you recommend any 3rd party apps for this? There seems to be a few out there...

Thanks again.

Swfstudio hands down. And you get Northcode for support
    http://www.northcode.com/

Thanks for the plug Bret

All of the third party tools have trial versions. If you want to get a feel for each of the products the best thing to do is to download them and try them for yourself. When you download the trial, don't just fire up the UI, do something real with it. Build the examples and look at the example code. Pound on the product a bit, see what breaks, or what doesn't.

Pick a simple but realistic project for yourself (like building a CD front end or something) and see how it goes with each product. Pick something that in a perfect world you could bang out in a day and plan to spend a week on it to get yourself over the initial learning curve. Most of these tools cover too much ground to just be absorbed by intuition. RTFM.

Most, if not all, of these tools also have online forums where you can interact with other users, ask for help, look at past problems and solutions and get a feel for the community. Definitely check out the forums, you'll probably be spending a lot of time in them. The forums are a big open window into the product and the company. See what kinds of problems people have or have had. Are the problems caused by the product (quality, doc, stability), by learning curves or other factors?

Finally, ask each company questions by forum, email or phone before you buy and see what kind of response you get. If you actually decide to try a little test project you'll probably have to ask for support at some point anyway, so you might as well give that a test drive too.

If this is just a one time thing with simple requirements you might get away with picking any one of the popular swf2exe tools. If you're not going to be delving too deeply you probably won't get burned too badly If you're going to be using one of these tools day in and day out, then you should plan to spend some quality time with each product because your decision will be harder to change once you get invested in using one tool or another.

Is this only an issue with AS3? I have an AS2 project that stays in FS mode when launching pdf's using NorthCodes proxy - but my current project in AS3 (both FP9/FP10) cause the projector to leave FS mode when launching a pdf.

Also, if I use the swf2exe app - can I simply convert a swf or exe built in AS3 FP9/10?

You should be able to use your SWF and produce an EXE, BUT (there's always a but) if you're using fscommand("exec", "something.exe") then you have to pick the right tool or you won't have any luck.

Out of all the swf2exe tools that I'm aware of SWF Studio is the only one that supports the native Flash fscommands. If you call fscommand EXEC in SWF Studio IT JUST WORKS. If you try that in any other swf2exe tool it won't work because they didn't think anyone would want to do that.

SWF Studio even goes a step further. You don't NEED to use an fscommand folder with SWF Studio, but if you have one and the file you want to EXEC is in there, SWF Studio will launch it. If the EXE you are trying to launch is just sitting beside your EXE, that works too.

You can even do things that Flash doesn't allow, like specifying a full path the EXE file you wan to launch and you can pass arguments to your EXE files. Once you start doing that you're probably ready to look at a more advanced function like ssCore.Shell.execute.

It's this deep feature support in every part of SWF Studio that separates it from the competition.

good post,interesting