A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can I use flash as an online browser?

Post Can I use flash as an online browser?

Hi all,

I am working on the offline cd runs projector.exe using actionscript 2.0....

I need to use online search feature in my glossary.

Is it possible to browse internet within flash projector.exe. I dont want to open any internet explorer or firefox window.

No, I don't think that's possible. Firefox, Chrome and all of those Web Browsers are heavily coded and made for web browsing. I don't think it's possible to make a Web Browser using Flash, unless you're the smartest guy in the world xD

What you could do, however, is to use the getURL code to open a new window, even though you don't want to, cause that's the only simple and the only way I know of

Good Luck!
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

Thanks for reply me..... here i give you some detail about my work.... Actually, I'm working on an offline CD project which runs at fullscreen mode. I use search feature in my glossary and if the typed word not present in cd then there is a button which on pressing it search online. But there the issue is that I don't want to open internet explorer or firefox independently. Is there any way to open IE or firefox inside flash projector file? huh...

Simply say can I embed IE or firefox in flash player. or any other suggestions please.....

No, you can not

Quote Originally Posted by truth_seeker View Post
    No, you can not
    You wan't to explain why, cause that answer obviously doesn't help him understand.

I'm not sure if you can, theres lots of handwork involved in building a browser, Tons of lines of code and concepts. you could try something different though, e.i. Inserting a URL into a text field and then using that url to send people to that site on one of the actual browser.

Sorry I Couldn't be much help!

Try the Google search component that I attached to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you're making an offline CD then you should ideally be using something a bit more than a bog standard Flash projector, you may want to look at AIR or ZINC or some of the other swf2exe tools. I know Zinc can embedded an instance of IE (on PC) or Safari (on OSX) which can then be controlled to an extent. I would've thought AIR can too but I've never used it. Everything else is going to be a bit of a compromise.

Cheers,
    Rob

hey friends,

thanks for your valuable replies....

God bless you all..