A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: shooting a wedding this weekend

Hybrid View

shooting a wedding this weekend

Just picked up my rentals for the weekend. Canon 17-55 2.8 IS and the 70-200 f/4 IS so that should be a good time.

Pretty nervous since this will be my first solo wedding(with my gf as my assistant aka bag holder)

It's for my sisters best friend but I have a feeling her mother is going to take the role as the bridezilla and harass me all day.

We're also finally moving this coming wednesday so I really hope this kicks my ass into taking photos again. We need to make this place pop again! Expect weekly themes to make a come back as well.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Cool - if you need any inspiration, take a look at the guy's work: http://www.meninenuotrauka.lt/en/wed...une_gediminas/

IMO the best wedding photographer in the world.

He useses NO flash or reflectors - all natural light.

And - what I like is that he keeps his settings to just a few options - so - only shooting at f/2.8 for a load of shots and uses minimal focal lengths (shoots all primes but you could just limit the focal lengths you use on those lenses you have which a great lenses).

Good luck

Nikonist
    Quote Originally Posted by loydall View Post
    Cool - if you need any inspiration, take a look at the guy's work: http://www.meninenuotrauka.lt/en/wed...une_gediminas/

He useses NO flash or reflectors - all natural light.

And - what I like is that he keeps his settings to just a few options - so - only shooting at f/2.8 for a load of shots and uses minimal focal lengths (shoots all primes but you could just limit the focal lengths you use on those lenses you have which a great lenses).

Good luck
    I went all over their website and couldn't find any information about the way they work. Where did you read they are not using reflectors?
    To me many of their photos seem to be taken by using one...
    Very nice photography indeed!
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

wow that blog was incredible. I hope I can capture a tenth the caliber of those shots.

just saw his newest thread on POTN.....i think you have something on your nose
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 05-27-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

oh and the kicker of this wedding is that she's 6 months pregnant.

So 1818 photos later the day is over. I only did this because it was my sisters best friend. I prob wouldn't never shoot a wedding solo again- WAY too stressful. I couldn't imagine going through that day if they were all complete strangers. It seemed as if the whole family didn't even want to be part of it(including the bride)

Once I get around to editing these I'll post some of the better shots I got. Prob a week or so since the next 3 days are getting ready for the move phew!

I'm still learning...
    I wanna see photos.

I just clicked on the link loydall shared, and it's really awesome! I can't believe he didn't use flash or reflector for the shots!
    Last edited by Nogol; 09-12-2011 at 10:42 PM.

The photographer is on the POTN site - people on there always ask him if he uses flash and/or reflectors and he says he doesn't - just using natural light (for most of his shots anyway).

If you look at his outdoor shots, it's often overcast with that high, white cloud which acts as a brilliant softbox so that might go some way to explaining how he gets that perfect looking light.

I think it also has a lot to do with where he positions himself and the model in relation to the light source.

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    In order to get those type of photos you need to be renting primes instead of the zooms.

My suggestions for next time: 85mm 1.2, 200 f/2 (70-200 if you reallly need the zoom), 16-35 f/2.8

That's if you're shooting Canon!!

Well the shoot is long over- and if I could afford the prime rentals I might have. I have heard nothing but amazing reviews of the 70-200 IS II though- even mentions of it being prime sharp

owesome photoes. Are these photos for public use. Since we are web designer we need good images like that. If you permitt we might use them for web designing. If not no problem we respect the rules

Quote Originally Posted by nomanzia26 View Post
    owesome photoes. Are these photos for public use. Since we are web designer we need good images like that. If you permitt we might use them for web designing. If not no problem we respect the rules
    You would need to contact the photographer for permission.

Yeah. I am not sure who you are talking to in this forum as the only photos linked in this thread are to another site. I would contact that photographer.