A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Natural History Museum

Natural History Museum

1 shot. 35mm:

Saw this over on fb along with the other couple of shots. Incredible location and shot. The clarity of this lens is insane. It just has this POP you don't get from other lenses. I am truly jealous of your new investments.

Mind sharing a little more exif data? I am assuming because of all the windows it was just flooded with light inside but this almost looks hdr-ish. The detail you have in the bricks along with the windows is just incredible.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Yeah - I think it's a given that the windows will be blown - doesn't really matter I think.

The lighting was good in there - lots of little pockets of light giving that even spread of light helping to achieve that slight HDR look.

Here's some more data:

I suppose the only extreme setting there is the recovery being pulled to 100% but, as the windows are pure white anyway, the recovery didn't really have that great an effect.

I pushed the saturation a little but really, the processing isn't that aggressive.

The lens does pick up so much more micro-contrast than any of the canon lenses I used so, ultimately you kind of get more detail in your shots.

But - it still takes a bit of sharpening (as does every image) and I've been searching for the perfect sharpening method for ages now as it seemed to me that I was loosing so much sharpness when resizing in PS.

I actually blogged about the new method I use for web sharpening here (if you're interested):

http://blog.johnloydall.co.uk/?p=64

Having that lens really does help though - obviously you can only sharpen detail that you already have...

Oh and this as well:

And here's another for you - too big to embed so you'll have to click through:

http://johnloydall.co.uk/images/nhbig.jpg
    Last edited by loydall; 05-29-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Certainly a great location. British museum atrium gives great light too - but you can't beat the nhm's brick walls and paneled ceiling in the great hall.