A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Custom Design App

Question Custom Design App

Hey everyone,
    I've been lurking in the forums for a while, just reading what everyone has had to say seeing if i can learn before I post.

http://www.bryanwoodurns.com/flash2/

This is what I have so far.

I am trying to create an app using flash/actionscript 3 that allows people to design a product themselves. There will be a 'base' background image thats immovable (actually this will probably be able to be changed to allow the user to customize different products)

To add a little clarity.. The product the user will be designing is a cremation urn. So. I would like the user to be able to add pictures/text/clipart to the "design studio" that i am creating.

So far I have a very bare-bones / basic proof of concept in the works.
    Right now you can upload a picture, drag it around, etc. You can actually upload as many pictures as you want and have them all on the stage. As of this moment, it doesnt resize your pictures to fit the stage (this is something I want to figure out) And another thing that I want to add to the functionality is to have the last image you click on to drag around come to the front.

You will also notice that you can create and download a jpg of your designed space as it sits.

I have borrowed/modified free code that has been available on the net and added some of my own.
    I am curious. From the I've got in my example at the moment to what my ideal 'finished' (or at least MUCH closer to finished) product is.. what kind of hurdles I might run into?

I'd like to add the following:
    1) add text to the stage that is move-able
    2) auto-resize pictures that the user uploads so they dont cover the whole stage if they upload something huge.
    3) add a clip-art library button, this should pop open a new window that lets the user browse a library of clip-art i provide.
    4)add a product image to the background.. This will put all of the designs that the user is making over the template of the product.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions on how to do any of these features please let me know.

Thanks.

How did you get the user upload photo capability?