A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Components: Combo Box help

Components: Combo Box help

Hey guys,
    I have been making a game and have recently found out about the Combo Box component, I love it and it works really well, except for one thing.

You play the game using the arrow keys, and when you press the arrow keys the character moves, AND it changes the value in the Combo Box, I do not want it to affect the combo box. Is there any way to do this, or a way around it?

Please do not say use the WASD keys or another set of keys as this will not affect it, because this is not an option, they are already being used!

thanks!

It is all about setting the focus on components. What AS version are you using?
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

Thanks for answering, I'm using AS2.
    would you be able to help me with the code for setting the focus?

Ya I can surely help...

Your actual requirement is that you never wanted to have the focus on combo box. Because if combo box receives the focus then it will update its value when ever navigation keys are pressed. To do so, you have a workaround: When focus is received on combo box, immidiately shift the focus to some other object like an input text box. You can place this input text box besides the stage so that it shall not be visible to the user.

To know more about checking the focus and then shifting it, you may read the onFocus and setFocus events from Flash documentation.
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

Ok, thanks very much.

I'll post back here if I am unable to get it working.

Thanks!

sure...best luck...If you are not able to resolve then you may post your source FLA here and we may have a look into it and resolve if possible
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

Ok, so I've tried this:
    Code:
    Selection.setFocus(_root.dummy);
    Every frame it executes this code, dummy is an input text, and it works to begin with. But once I change my selection once in the combobox, the focus is no longer with the input text, but with the combo box.

I dont know what is happening! Please help.

You are quite close...now you have to write a listner even on combo box which will detect focus on the combo box and immidiately transfer the focus on to teh text box....look the documentation for onSetFocus event....
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

Hey there,

I have attached a sample for your requirement. Run this SWF individually in flash player (not in Flash authoring environment) and please check. Keep clicking tab and you will notice that the focus never goes on teh combo box.

If you open the source FLA you will find some code on 1st frame. Comment that code, publish teh SWF and open it in flash player and hit the tab button and you will notice that focus then goes on to the combo box component.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

Wow that was simple, but worked like a charm!

Thankyou so much for your help!