A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you feel about sites having selectable themes ?

How do you feel about sites having selectable themes ?

I would like to ask your opinions about sites that have multiple themes available and allow the user to change the theme while navigating the site.

What do you think about this ?

Is it a cool or attractive option ?

Is it unprofessional ?

Is it worth the work of development ?

Have you implemented something like this ?

I have been thinking about developing a system for a site to allow support for multiple themes but I am not sure if that would be professional and worth it.

I think from a technical standpoint, it's a good exercise in modular-driven design. From a realistic standpoint, I think it's probably a waste of time and resources. 98% of your viewers will never change from the default.

Quote Originally Posted by marshdabeachy View Post
    I think from a technical standpoint, it's a good exercise in modular-driven design. From a realistic standpoint, I think it's probably a waste of time and resources. 98% of your viewers will never change from the default.
    Thanks for your answer.

Do you think that allowing to change the theme is a little unprofessional, or is it just me ?

I think the unprofessional aspect depends on how much emphasis you put on themes. If you feature it heavily (big font - CLICK HERE TO CHANGE THEMES!!) then that comes across quite unprofessional. But of course, the less emphasis you put on it, the less people will use it.

More importantly though, it's almost always just unnecessary. Do your visitors gain anything from having multiple site designs? Now, if you want to have a separate design that caters to disabled/impaired visitors, that's one thing. But outside of that, it just seems to be a lot of work for very little payoff.