A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Questions about Video Playlists

Questions about Video Playlists

Hi, I'm Jenn, new here. I apologize if this is not the correct spot for this, but here we go.

I am new to The "newer" flash. Back in the day, I knew how to use the old action script, now Im a little in the dark.

I usually don't use flash for my sites, because as I said, still learning the new action script. HOWEVER, i have a client who would like to post a web series, so basically, she would like something exactly like this www.watchtheguild.com.

I am not sure how to go about creating a streaming web playlist like this, I would love some guidance.... This project will be starting in about a month or so, I would like to understand the process before it starts.

I would appreciate any information on this, tutorial links, or a template.

Thanks so much!!

Your question brings up A LOT of other questions. Are you posting the video or is the client? Who's encoding it? Do you want different encoding rates based on the viewer's connection? Do you want to stream or progressively download the video? Do you plan to support mobile or viewers without Flash?

Etc, etc.

The easiest path would be to use the players that come with Flash, and set up your list in Flash as well. You could use one of the included components to do that. You can do progresive video (rather than streaming) without any special server setup, and you should encode in H.264 (available as an option with Adobe Media Encoder), that'll at least give you the chance to support mobile (though if you really want to support mobile you should build your playlist in HTML).

A couple of other things I'll point out...if you're comfortable with the "old" Actionscript (AS2), there's no reason you can't use it. It may not be the "in" thing, but Flash still supports it.

The other option you might consider is to subcontract out the video player work.

Well I don't have the money to subcontract.

Questions answered.
    I am posting the video, im encoding it, Yes to the viewers connections, and streaming. No to Mobile, no to viewers without flash.

I see the player that comes with flash, but I am not sure how to make do similar things to the link I posted above. I know how to create a single video with the flash template, but playlists is beyond me, even with the old action script.

Okay, well to answer the questions
    I am posting the video, I'm encoding it, I would like different encoding rates, I would like it to stream, no to mobile view, and no to viewers without flash.

I have tried the players that come with flash,and I know how to make a single player work, but the xml part is where I get losts. Second, I would like a pull down menu at the top that changes the videos from season 1, to season 2, as the webpage above shows. www.watchtheguild.com The client sent me that site, and they would like the video player to be as simliar to that as possible.
    Last edited by LymeliteStudios; 07-08-2011 at 04:28 PM.

If you truly want it to stream, you'll have to get set up with access to a Flash Media Server. I'd also suggest locking out those without Flash isn't necessarily the best plan, but that's up to you.

As far as the rest, I'd suggest you break up what you want to do into individual tasks and post any questions in separate threads as you go.

The first thing it sounds like you need to do is load some XML. Here's a link that talks about that: http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flas...ml_as3_pg2.htm

alright, well what i mean by stream is uploading a flv to the clients server, and having is progressively load in a flash player.

They also want a full screen option on the player, which means I def have to use AS3, and cant go back to the older action script.

I tried to make a list component with AS3 in it that loads an XML file, and it didnt work, and I have gone over it about 3000 times trying to figure out why.

Actionscript Code:
    var vlist:XML = new XML();
    vlist.ignorewhite = true;

vlist.onLoad = function() {
        var videos:Array = this.firstChild.childNodes;
        for(i=0;i<videos.length;i++) {
            videoList.addItem(videos[i].attributes.desc,videos[i].attributes.url);
        }

ns.play(videoList.getItemAt(0).data);
        videoList.selectedIndex = 0;
    }

var vidList:Object = new Object();

vidList.change = function() {
        ns.play(videoList.getItemAt(videoList.selectedIndex).data);    
    }

videoList.addEventListener("change",vidList);

vlist.load("videos.xml");

I really need to have an XML drivin player, and when you click on a video, i need it to tell the Episode number, and Name and a description below the video.

Question. Can I have more then one list box, more then one xml list, and use the same video player for both?

im sorry i'm an idiot. lol. its been so long since I tried to do this stuff.

Well you're not actually telling it to load any XML in that snippet, and you're using AS2 instead of AS3 in some places. Did you look at the link above about loading XML?

no, i did that before you sent me a link, and I actually used a tutorial on creativecow.com that was supose to be an AS3 XML drivin playlist.... so, see, i'm completely lost. is that last line of code not loading the XML?

ill check out your link

Might how I did will differ from your Code Structure. I was made for my Client quite a months ago. Flash AS3 XML driven FLV Player with Playlist which I did code in timeline. So if you are trying with timeline code, I can show you my way.

arkitx
    Last edited by arkitx; 07-14-2011 at 04:05 AM.