A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Application in Full-HD with twitter

Application in Full-HD with twitter

Hello,

I want your advice according the use of flash or not.
    For a client I need to build a CMS and application that shows pictures (multiple photoalbums), twitter and textmessages on a full-hd television. The 40inch screen is placed in a pub. People can twitter a message and that message needs to appear on the screen.
    The CMS is already fixed, php and mysql based. Communication by flash through xml. Or is amfphp better?

So I had in mind to build the full-screen application in flash, but because flash is build for small advertisements etc...
    I was curious if this isn't to 'heavy' for flash.
    Because the application does a lot at the same time in a very high resolution (1920 x 1080) at 25fps:

1. Twitter, continously contact with twitter-server, create and delete movieclips, every message is a movieclip.
    2. Multiple layers, top layer is PNG with transparancy, loading a new png every few minutes, layer on bottom are the pictures.
    3. Loading pictures, I use flash eff for transitions, 2 pictures loaded a the time
    4. Textmessages (such as "Friday evening karaoke" ) are showed over the pictures/png.
    5. Embed complete fontset (I heard that thats time consuming?)

I hope I explained the situation well enough, here you can find a example:
    http://www.schoppensnieder.nl/WalkIn...Voorbeeld.html

The pictures a missing, because this is a example.

Maybe flash can do this without any problem, but because I have some problems with twitter,
    movieclips (containing the tweets) aren't positioned always good, so the bird is overlapping the previous message...

I hope that flash can do this stable in the high resolution, the content, except twitter, is local.
    Stability is maybe the most important issue.

Thanks in advance.

Greetz Willem

Shouldn't be an problem, I'd look at using a sfw=exe solution though for final so that you have full access to system. Personally I use SWFStudio

For the transitions and animations I'd use a good tween engine like TweenMax where you get really high performance with small file size.

The only issue I am aware of with embeding fonts is size and with an local application it's not an issue.

Actually sounds like a fun project.

Thanks for the fast reaction!
    I'd looked at SWFStudio, but its to expensive for the project.
    And full local access I don't need because the swf-file is placed on a pc thats running as a server.
    So the flash-app is loaded bij http://127.0.0.1/index.html (code makes it full-screen)
    I will look at it, TweenMax looks good at what I saw just.
    The font we are using is Mac-Only, our mistake, but thats the reason that I need to include it, because the server is running on Windows 7. But maybe we can switch to another font.

Absolutely, its a fun project.
    The only thing thats makes me crazy is the fact that the twitter message are sometimes overlapping the previously one. But I think I go rewrite this.

Are you using the Twitter API? There is a Twitter Class that might work. I haven't messed with pulling Twitter feeds.

No I didn't, but this api is way better then my code. No surpise.
    I will use this one and then the visual problem had to be vanished!

Thanks for the tip.