A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Game developers

Im still young

Game developers

I find games development is a self inflicted torture. Even though game coding is not that complicated I find that drawing the graphics is the most difficult part of game development. Even the best coding or game play does not save a game from not so encouraging reviews if the graphics are of average quality. Next problem is to get new ideas for a game. To develop a good game you most be a three in one genius. 1. brilliant coding expert. 2. excellent graphics artist, and 3. Innovative story teller. If you lack any one of these attributes you may fail as a successful game developer. The worst incentive to continue with your passionate desire to develop games is not getting encouraging reviews, and less than average number of game plays. With so many game sites in the net presently, and an astronomical number of game developers it is very difficult to develop games that are well received by players.

I agree. Game development is not for the weak hearts or for the sentimental.
    It is survival of the fittest that rules here as in the case of other arts.
    It is either you have the necessary talent or you are a dude. If you are of the second variety of the species go home and have a nice sleep. When you wake up in the morning you may find another profession where you can be a success.
    <signature removed by admin>

well people don't want to pay for crap. If you can't make an aspect of your game, get some help. There's tons of resources out there, people willing to help. Join a team... Going solo is risky if you haven't got the skills or experience in the industry.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

"The worst incentive to continue with your passionate desire to develop games is not getting encouraging reviews, and less than average number of game plays."

Then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
    You should be making games you want to play for the sheer joy of creation, not to care what some strangers think.

If you make a game you're truly happy with, and proud of, then that's enough. Everything else is just noise.

Squize.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize View Post
    Everything else is just noise.
    If that isn't poetry, I don't know what is.

Although I do filter out just the positive or constructive ones, but that may just be me staying positive.

Yes its very difficult, but in a way its a little easier as well. There are many independent developers out there that are doing very well, now I believe is the time of the Indi. Only you have to be creative, innovative and find new ways to generate revenue from your games.