A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Printing movieclips from a different scene in a specific area

Question Printing movieclips from a different scene in a specific area

So I've recently started working with ActionScript 2.0 at my internship. I am now working on a game, that already had all its graphic interface designed and I am doing all the programming. Basically what I have to do is get some movie clips (randomly) from a different scene and print them on another scene in a designated area (but also randomly). I am not sure the best way to explain my problem, so I made a sketch of how the scene should look. http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...uff/sketch.jpg So basically I want to print the movie clips on the black space, as if they were the red squares. But the movie clips are stored in a different scene in the same project. So I want to know two things: how do I get the movie clips from the different scene? And how do I print those movie clips on the specific area?

Thank you very much!

What do you mean by "print"? As in just draw the movieclips directly to the stage so they're basically just a bitmap? Or do you actually want to create another instance of the same movieclip?

If you give the movieclips linkage IDs in the library, you can attach them to the stage through code. (Look up "attachMovie".) This is the most common way to do what you're asking.

Also, as a general rule, I avoid scenes like the plague. They're like awkwardly separated movieclips and that get mashed together when you compile. Anything you can do in scenes, you can do better in individual movieclips. I know you didn't set up the FLA, but something for future reference.