A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of Flash?

Is this the end of Flash?

no.

Nah. Can you do animated movies in HTML5? Maybe you can, but would you want to? How about online games? Flash in basic webpages will probably die out soon but Flash remains a great tool.
    This program looks awesome - kind of a clusterf*ck of Dreamweaver and After Effects. Who knows, it might be fun.
    Code:
    if(dreams&&hard_work&&sacrifice) {
    prosperity++;
    wisdom++;
    $++;
    }

The current html landscape is anything but fun. Localizing content across browsers is simply not something a client is going to feel justified in paying for. It hurts developers, hurts innovation and just flat out hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    The current html landscape is anything but fun. Localizing content across browsers is simply not something a client is going to feel justified in paying for. It hurts developers, hurts innovation and just flat out hurts.
    Thank you.

Edge appears to be an interesting and useful tool. However, my understanding is that the animations it can make are pretty limited compared to the playing field Flash offers.

I think that we'll see a Flash resurgence once there are more Android tablets in circulation.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Android is definitely going to help keep Flash afloat.
    As for cross platform compatibility, it's come a ways from when this stuff only worked on Chrome. Keeping the stuff functional on IE and Firefox and Opera and on and on will still be a pain in the ass, but it means better choices for end users, so that's how it is. Kind of like iPhones vs Android?
    My take, I don't know anything about anyone. PS Playing with Edge is fun but it has an annoying quirk - if you open up the raw HTML and Javascript to add tweaks it has to restart the interface, but the interface has no options to add HTML or Javascript. Maybe that's only on the fully paid version?
    Code:
    if(dreams&&hard_work&&sacrifice) {
    prosperity++;
    wisdom++;
    $++;
    }

It will not be dead for me. I did hear that flash web pages are dead, but flash banner ads are still alive

Cross-posting, but this bears repeating. Sue me.

Dreamweaver had a timeline for DHTML animations around version 2-4. They sucked because browsers weren't up to the tast. The feature was removed. It came back in CS3. It sucked because of the code generated and the fact that they were trying to make A 'JavaScript version of Flash', which is a fools's errand if you really understand what Flash does well and what canvas/html5 was intended to do. In CS5 the timeline is gone again.

Tl;dr: this is a dumb idea that's been tried before.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Kinda funny how we used to hate (still do) Microsoft for making it hard to support their browsers and now we hate apple for the same reason. There is a golden situation in which I wouldn't mind focusing on web more and that is an agnostic integrated development environment. If I could open an editor, write code one time and have it render all of the functionality of a cross browser compliant standards based DOM client I'd be fine charging and estimating for that work. It doesn't even have to be html/css/js, it could be some markup script that generalizes everything. I'd use it.
    Google's closure framework comes damn close but testing and tweaks are still required. Users don't give a good god d@mn what built their website/experience. For now I'm just trying to get good at Unity and get the hell off the web until further notice.

W3C plug-ins to run HTML. Problem solved.

We are held back by the Salem Witch Trials of the internet during which capital P Puritans punished all notions of plug-ins via burning at the stake.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

I got a bit into 3D using Poser and Swift 3D. You can export movies as Flash movies in both. Just wait for the next flash version using Molehill. Adobe already prepares. One tool is Pixelbender 3D.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Just a few years back, the flashplayer was miles ahead of anything else. The problem is that is closed source and that adobe is not that good in bug fixing. Because it is a plugin, it has a lot of drawbacks.

Nowadays these drawbacks are very visible. Poor indexing, unclear navigation, unable to use on smart devices like iPads. etc.

Nowadays, you do not need to use flash to create an engaging website. Just take a look at the listed sites on awwwards.com. jQuery now is THE tool to make a website more engaging. Especially when you consider creating content for mobile devices.

Flash will still have a place in the world wide web, but it will be more of a tool to create online games or for a streaming video service. youtube still uses flash with a good reason.

Actually adobe has been great about bug fixing. The problems stemming from flash and apple computers is closely related to why mac's dont do games well/if at all. It's all the blind secrecy over the video hardware accellorators.

SWF is not closed. If it were there would be no third party companies making swf products. Flash is proprietary as is the flash player. What this has meant is that the standards are consistent as opposed to random (html) 10 years ago the flash player was more advanced then the current status of html5. It's still 10 to 20 years ahead of html5 in regards to capabilities. And because the swf player is standardized unlike browsers which only ascribe to there own standards it produces a consistent response time and time again.

Apple is the last company that should be crying about proprietal software. They try to control the market at every turn. As far as youtube goes. Apple paid google big bucks for mov hence if you are on a mac or iphone you are seeing a quicktime vid not an swf/flv. Places like Hulu are pure flash driven content on the otherhand as well as many other media outlets.

We've all seen the jailbreak videos of users running flash on iphones/ipads. So we know it's possible even though apple doesn't like it. Adobe has finally gotten the research information on the newest line of hardware graphic accelorators in macs (though not thru apple) and have fixed the long running frame issue associated with flash on macs. It will not cure older macs but it's hope for the newer ones.

Flash is almost everywhere. from atm machines to kiosks to cell phones (sans iphones) to set-a-top-boxes. The problem is the few are directing the actions of the masses. Droids sell more then iphones, PC's sell more then macs. The only market where macs are the leader is the tablet industry and apple is so afraid of competition it's trying to sue anyone who enters it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frets View Post
    The only market where macs are the leader is the tablet industry and apple is so afraid of competition it's trying to sue anyone who enters it.
    The rest of the content aside. this part is a bit exaggerated. They don't need to sue anyone entering the market...they simply fail on their own. This is evidenced by the Playbook faux pas, the HP Touchpad debacle, etc. The only way others dent the Apple fiefdom is by selling their hardware at a colossal loss ($100 Touchpads?!?) Last time I saw, this was not a good way to do business.

As far as Droid selling more than iPhone...those numbers are not telling the whole story. iPhone is STILL the most popular handset. Android Phones sell more than iOS phones, but there are a lot more handsets licensing the Android OS than iOS, since Apple does not license it out (other than the counterfeit Chinese versions.)
    Last edited by hanratty21; 09-01-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

So they are suing Samsung just because it feels good?

Quote Originally Posted by Frets View Post
    So they are suing Samsung just because it feels good?
    They're not suing Samsung for entering the market as you said. They're suing them over look and feel. Making a tablet is fine. Making a tablet that looks and feels like Apple's? That's the problem. Apple doesn't own the concept of 'phone' or 'tablet.'

Apple welcomes competition. In a great, booming market of anything, you should. Welcome everyone to join in and fall on their faces. It only goes to prove your own dominance in quality and innovation. They're not saying Samsung shouldn't be in the market...they're telling Samsung to stop cloning their products. Samsung is a fine company - they can do better.

“Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple’s technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products,” the lawsuit said.

Apple is seeking injunctions, actual damages, punitive damages, and a finding of willful infringement.

“It’s no coincidence that Samsung’s latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging,” said an Apple representative. “This kind of blatant copying is wrong, and we need to protect Apple’s intellectual property when companies steal our ideas.”
    *edit* Funny thought I just had...about 2 years ago...the name iPad was the butt of every late night host's arsenal of monologue jokes. Today, it's a part of daily lexicon.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 09-02-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Flash will still have a place.

I just launched my 2nd flash built iPhone app. We spent another week of dev time and pushed that same app out to the web and the Android. The majority of that week was spent on design changes for the web version. The Android push was basically just a publish setting.

You cant really do that with many other technologies. The Corona SDK is close in that you can easily push to multiple devices, but it's only mobile.

Unity can do web and mobile, but you need the Unity plugin which isnt widely accepted.

Flash can do all 3 and it continues to get better on the mobile publishing front.

Phones look like other phones tablets look like other tablets. I guess samsung could have designed something that looked like hello kitty but I don't think consumers would appriciate the form factor.

Frets - You're wrong. Simply wrong.

The Galaxy, on the other hand...DOES look like another phone.

As I said..Samsung is a fine company - they can do better. Better than Apple? perhaps not....better than plagiarism? definitely.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 09-04-2011 at 02:09 PM.