A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Multiple monitors, Menu only seen by controller's monitor?

Question Multiple monitors, Menu only seen by controller's monitor?

Hi,

I'm having a bit of an issue coming up with a solution to a request made by a customer today, and wonder if anyone could help me.

REQUEST: Create a projector (.EXE) application, which has a set of controls and a menu, and an area where the effects of these buttons are displayed. One button may bring up a video, one a table of information etc etc. The application is to be displayed on multiple monitors within a room, but only the 'controller' is to see the controls and menu, and so his button presses etc will not be seen by the audience watching the several other monitors.

I've been scratching my head over this for a while and am getting nowhere. Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Thanks

DW

Will moderate for beer
    I'm not aware of any way to do that in a single EXE, but you could easily do it with a client/server architecture.

Thanks for the reply. From other advice i've decided to go down the route of multiple windows with an AIR application.

My next hurdle is figuring out the cleanest way of displaying the content (images, tables etc) in the two different windows. I wonder if there is a trick to doing this without having two instances of the objects being controlled all the time?

save your self some hassle Use remote shared objects with flash media server or Wowza or Red5. U really can't do this disconnected server side code acts as a "clearing house for data" or virtual admin that can perform tasks everytime somebody disconnects from the application. or connects for that matter.
    ~calmchess~