A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What does everyone think of Adobe Edge?

What does everyone think of Adobe Edge?

I'm sure by now a good chunk of you have heard the news about Adobe Edge; what do you all think it means for Flash? I downloaded the preview and it seems pretty cool for a start; I think the big issue will be how it can handle interactivity (not really present yet in the preview). I am whipping up a developer community blog / forum here if anyone is already playing around with it and wants to chat: http://www.edgecoders.com/forum/

I actually like it. Just wish it did the animations in an exposed canvas, not hidden in the javascript.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Yeah I really like it too; my gripe is that it can't open coldfusion / php files, etc. You have to save the static html, do your edge stuff, and then paste the results back into your coldfusion /php files.

Looks like it could be useful for some applications. However, I think that people should be careful to not sell it as a Flash replacement. It doesn't do a lot of what Flash does.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Dreamweaver had a timeline for DHTML animations around version 2-4. They sucked because browsers weren't up to the tast. The feature was removed. It came back in CS3. It sucked because of the code generated and the fact that they were trying to make A 'JavaScript version of Flash', which is a fools's errand if you really understand what Flash does well and what canvas/html5 was intended to do. In CS5 the timeline is gone again.

Tl;dr: this is a dumb idea that's been tried before.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Hmm; I don't think its a dumb idea as it enables you to very quickly make complex and device compliant animations without having to really get your hands dirty with jQuery etc. Yes you can do this via other means, but from playing around with it, it definitely seems like it could be a time saver for certain tasks.

Viewed a web page on a mobile device lately with lots of DOMimation? Not pretty.
    Edge is a step in the right direction. It's flash's timeline, now duplicate the rest.

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so I pick up this old one. I recently looked at the Edge preview and I felt back in the Flash 4 times except that AS is now replaced by Javascript. How far into the direction of current Flash program can this be developed to make similar applications, which are possible with Flash?
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Remember, the grand payload of what "Flash" can is really a result of what AS3 can do. More specifically, what AS3 can make AVM2 do. Flash Pro allows you to create/import assets, give them parameters and keyframes but it does NOT write code for you. Edge is a glorified code generator and I'm not personally confident that any time soon I'll encounter a project that isn't eventually hurt by that.

Adobe needs to either throw its entire weight behind HaXe or create an equivalent where AS3 coders can just jump in with little to no learning curve. No one should ever have to write javascript.

i quite liked it to the point that i changed my OS to win 7 just so i can install EDGE. it has a new and thoughtful animation process which i found was interesting. But i don't know about its lifecycle post the release of Flash CS6 because flash also exports to html 5 now and does plenty more than what EDGE can do now.

I tried MUSE too, that is a great package aswell, really could takeover after Dreamweaver is my honest opinion.