A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can't see how to make buttons work

Can't see how to make buttons work

Kind of new at this and not at all AS aware. I am using Flash CS5 and am working with a flash template a client wants to use, which publishes using AS2. I have done everything the client has asked for, but have run into a problem.

I have uploaded the fla file here: http://dev-server.ca/IMEC/flash/header_v8.fla for you to look at.

You will see there are twelve images that scroll with a description below each image. What I am trying to do is have each description link to a new page, so have a button on top of each of the descriptions.

You will see in the timeline I had 5 buttons that I had tried, placed on top of each of the descriptions, but ran into problems wit the 5th button when I scrolled the images. That is where I found out that the buttons stayed in place while the images scrolled underneath. I then deleted the buttons.

Then I opened the txt2 from the library and tried to add buttons in a new (top) timeline (above each text), but the buttons were not click-able for some reason ??

Like I said, I am not good at AS. Even if someone could show me how to make one and where to find it, and how to proceed from there, I would be eternally grateful. I' at my wits end on this.

Can someone please help me to find where or how I would do this?

Ok, i edited the files for you to make the whole item a link. I used what was already there instead of make new MovieClips. To change the links, go to Library and open the "sq" MovieClip, the actions are attached to the Movieclips.

If you need more help, you can reach me at megastee (at) hotmail (com).

www.snrepair.com/files/header_link.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Steven FN View Post
    Ok, i edited the files for you to make the whole item a link. I used what was already there instead of make new MovieClips. To change the links, go to Library and open the "sq" MovieClip, the actions are attached to the Movieclips.

If you need more help, you can reach me at megastee (at) hotmail (com).

www.snrepair.com/files/header_link.zip
    Thanks Steven...I can open the swf file ok, but when I try to open the fla file, I get a "unexpected file format" error. I see I stated in my original post that I was using CS%, but I forgot I had downgraded to the CS4 version. So sorry. Any chance you could save this as a CS4 format?

Quote Originally Posted by abu117 View Post
    Thanks Steven...I can open the swf file ok, but when I try to open the fla file, I get a "unexpected file format" error. I see I stated in my original post that I was using CS%, but I forgot I had downgraded to the CS4 version. So sorry. Any chance you could save this as a CS4 format?

Ok, sorry. I read that you were using CS5 and went by that.

www.snrepair.com/files/header_link_cs4.zip

Was I helpful? Please donate via Paypal to steven@snrepair.com. Any donation is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Steven FN; 08-12-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Steven - thank you so much for what you have done. I am able to sleep again