A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mac projector on CD crashes after launching PDF

Mac projector on CD crashes after launching PDF

We have a an old hybrid projector CD(PC/Mac compatible) that basically links to/opens a bunch of PDF files on the CD. The source fla was probably authored in Flash CS3 or earlier.

We are trying to publish updates to the CD using Flash CS5.5 and the CD works fine on a PC. On the Mac, the module crashes 5 seconds after launching any PDF giving the error: "Flash Player quit unexpectedly."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Additional info:
    Authored in Actionscript 2
    Uses applescript to launch PDFs on Mac
    Uses jstart exe/ini files to launch PDFs on PC
    Last working version authored in Flash CS3/Flash Player 8.
    Tried publishing mac projectors using Flash Player versions 8-10.2 (All crash after launching the pdf)

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Tried publishing mac projectors using Flash Player versions 8-10.2 (All crash after launching the pdf)
    No matter what version of Flash you target in the Publish Settings you're still using the Flash CS5.5 EXE file. You need to either (a) find a copy of CS3 and republish or (b) find out why it's crashing in CS5.5 and fix it.
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Northcode View Post
    The key difference between OSX and Windows is where the fscommand folder goes. On windows it goes in the same folder as your EXE. On OSX it has to be put inside the projector's application bundle in MyApp.app -> Contents -> MacOS, which is where the Flash player binary actually lives
    Thanks for the feedback Northcode. In a different thread you quoted the above. If I understand correctly, you are saying I should have 2 fscommand folders; one for pc and one for mac and both reside in different directories on the CD. I currently have been putting all of my applescripts in the same fscommand folder as the pc files. Do you think this could be the possible cause of my CD crashing? I will try to put the applescript files where you suggested and see if that works.

UPDATE: I tried placing my the applescripts in the following folder but now the links do not launch the pdfs at all. Any suggestions?

MyApp.app->Contents->MacOS->fscommand