A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Rollover - I want to 'swap' movieclips?!

Rollover - I want to 'swap' movieclips?!

Hi guys,

Newly signed up, after trawling around here for a solution to my problem for a while! I didn't think something so seemingly simple would be so difficult to solve...so here goes;

http://elbee101.com/rollover.zip

Is the .fla and .swf so you can see my lame attempt at what I'm trying to achieve. I'm trying to simplify the problem before I go down the full path, hence the simple square rollover animation and reverse rollout.

A tile, you rollover it and it grows...can do! rollout and I'd like the box to re-tract, hence I'm playing the 'reverse' animation. Yet I can still see the 'expanded' box underneath?! I want this to be gone/not visible, and then the next time I rollover the (small) tile, it grows etc...

I've tried removechild, then creating a new dynamic movieclip and I'm getting lost with what I think its name is. At one point I even managed to jump this little hurdle, then only for the next time I rollover the tile, nothing happens, as I assume its instance name is no longer 'btn'.....?? Thoroughly confused!!

I'm digging a hole, and its filling with water! Any help would be greatly appreciated please

What you can do is add all animations to the movie clip (card) and set stop() points. Judging by your files probably frame 1 for normal, frame 20 for enlarged and frame 40 for reduced again.

Now in the mouse over and mouse out methods, your code can look more like:
    Actionscript Code:
    function manageMouseOver(event:MouseEvent):void{
      trace("over");
      btn.gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

function manageMouseOut(event:MouseEvent):void{
      trace("out");
      btn.gotoAndPlay(21);
    }

Alternatively to stopping at frame 40, you could make it just jump back to frame one, i.e rather than stop(), you can gotoAndStop(1).

Hope this helps.

thanks for that Sodium. I was messing around with "gotoAndPlay" and having the reverse animation in the 1mc, but I jut didn't point it in the right spot!

working now, except the client has made a 'small' change to the required functionality and now again I am completely stumped, been trying to do something for 5 hours and I just keep going in circles and getting to the same dead-end spot I got to 4.5 hours ago :/

I'll start a new thread...