A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help please? Button in a MC, how hard can it be?!

Help please? Button in a MC, how hard can it be?!

After 5 hours of going around and around in useless circles I am almost slashing my AS3 wrists! I find myself with no other solution except to beg for help on these forums as I just cannot work out what it is I'm even trying to do. I'll try and explain it first...

I want a Movieclip, that has rollover/out functionality. Inside this MC I want a button that when clicked, it expands the movieclip (which then has 3 buttons inside it). Sounds easy, nice pseudocode to boot!

Somewhere I'm tripping over the very basics of Flash/AS3, instance names, scope, gotoAndPlay etc....

I can get the rollover/rollout to change the image, i can even reference the button inside the movieclip and get it to trace a message inside a function, so I know its advancing frames using the gotoAndPlay?!#@# somehow what I see on the screen doesn't tell me the same thing. For the example I've expanded the image and given it a tint, but I don't see this?

Should I post an example .fla if anyone is willing/able to help me?

I'm sure the answer will be pretty straight forward but at this point in time I'm very frustrated and getting nowhere, hooray!

Ө_ө sleepy mod
    Please post a fla - without seeing the specific implementation I can only guess.

That said - my guess is that you're getting tripped up in timeline objects. If you have a button on frame 1 and attach code to it - then you go to frame 2 where you have a new keyframe with that same button on it - the button actually gets nuked and recreated. So even though it looks identical and has the same instance name - the code was attached to the previous copy and you now have a new version with no links to it.
    Please use [php] or [code] tags, and mark your threads resolved 8)

Thanks neznein, I tried to post the .fla, < than 50 posts = no links

I got it sorted in the end anyway...