A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anyone figure out how to export to Flash 11?

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar

Anyone figure out how to export to Flash 11?

So I followed a tutorial similar to this one...

http://www.disturbmedia.com/wiki/How...Away3D_40.html

Downloaded Flex SDK 4.5 from here...
    http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/dis...nload+Flex+4.5

Downloaded the playerglobal.swc from here...
    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

I'm thinking the problem is that I'm using Flex 3 to try this. But after I setup the Flex SDK 4.5, I'm missing the standard Flash libraries (MovieClip, DisplayObject and such). I'm able to compile a swf but it's sometimes broken or corrupt (screen displays static looking image). This is with trying to run the Starling demo or simply loading an image into the SWF.

Just trying to get a feel for what Starling Framework is like and see if this new Stage3D will change my life or not.

Anybody know what's up with this? Do I need FDT or Flash Builder 4 to build anything?

Haven't yet tried it Bryce, but by the looks of it you could also compile it with FlashDevelop, but you'd miss the code hinting.

I've worked with assets bieng imported from a Flash IDE compiled swc into a Flex 4.5 project and I could typecast it as a MovieClip, so yeah it should be in there.

No no, treat exporting to FP11 like any other version. Grab the latest Flex SDK, grab the latest FlashDevelop, download the desktop FP11, and then in FD you just need to choose Flash Player 11 as target version, bingo. Simple.

And Molehill seems to have bad GPU support...or at least it doesn't support my laptop's GPU, which is an integrated one. Either way, I'm thinking of using Molehill for rendering either way, since it should be faster.

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Just tried this thursday. I used Flash Builder instead of FlashDevelop, but the problem which kept me banging my head against stuff, was that you need playerglobal.swc and the flex sdk. Well that's what's advertised, but it didn't work for me.

On the Starling site I read that you need to copy over the Air SDK over the Flex SDK and you already have the right playerglobal.swc. This didn't work for me either. The Stage3D and other classes weren't available. In the end I copied the playerglobal.swc over the one in the combined sdk and finally it worked. No idea why, but I'm using Stage3D via Starling.

Now Pazil, isn't it that you need to set the wmode to direct to really do anything with the Stage3D object? I haven't tried a standalone ActionScript test yet, but a Flex one works just fine with Starling.

Also on that wmode thing. Starling detects which version of wmode is running and displays an error message if it's not direct. This may be something to look into (it's opensource), as probably not all portals will have the ability to set wmode to anything non-standard. You could show a nice splash screen to tell the user this isn't the HD, Turbo or Turbo Alhpa 3 version. And more importantly, to let the portal now that it's users could be enjoying that HD version. You may also think about a fallback way of rendering, like blitting. However creating two views for your game does sound like an awfull lot of extra work on nonfunctionality.

Quote Originally Posted by TOdorus View Post
    Now Pazil, isn't it that you need to set the wmode to direct to really do anything with the Stage3D object? I haven't tried a standalone ActionScript test yet, but a Flex one works just fine with Starling.
    I'm running my tests with the desktop/standalone Flash Player 11, not sure if wmode applies in this case (All my molehill stuff runs and everything, but it just says it's running in direct blitting, not hardware accelerated :/ )

For me, getting FP11 to work was really painless, just I think it is indeed crappy GPU support on Adobe's side.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Pazil View Post
    And Molehill seems to have bad GPU support...or at least it doesn't support my laptop's GPU, which is an integrated one. Either way, I'm thinking of using Molehill for rendering either way, since it should be faster.
    Having an integrated gpu does the job for molehill but not as impressive as having an external gpu.
    i eat actionscripts for breakfast

I finally had a play with stage3D yesterday, really really impressed.

There's no way I'm going back to the displayList after using that.

Squize.