A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Starting in Flash Game Development

Starting in Flash Game Development

I'm a good animator/artist but know next to nothing about programming. I want to make a platform game in the same vein as donkey kong country but have no idea where to start. I have Flash CS5.5 and an idea for a game. I've made some sprites: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/...02b9996f4efd81

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Those sprites are friggin awesome. I love the badger, haha.

You can try searching Google for stuff like "Flash AS3 platformer tutorial". You should be able to find something that will get you started. I'd recommend trying to find something AS3 specific because it's easier to find resources on AS3 rather than AS2 these days.

I found this video on YouTube which seems to give a clear explanation from start to finish... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSRNMHt_8JQ

If you ever get lost or stuck on a problem, search forums or Google. Ask as a last resort, because there's always someone that's had the same problem and a lot of the time you can find an answer really quick.

Keep with it! Looks like you'll make something sweet if you keep at it.

I love those sprites! They're so funny.

You legit need to make an alice in wonderland style game with them (in terms of art/atmosphere). Platformer + Storyline = awesomeness (Not another collect the coins and stars while avoiding baddies one please )
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

That's some serious animating skills you got there. Have you considered teaming up with a coder? The usual problem to start a coop project is that the side asking hasn't developed a skill to a high enough level that he/she has something to contribute to the team. If you have that kind of skill on the art side, you should easily be able to get a skilled coder to help you out.

Programmer
    I love those spirits

It takes no more then 1 month to learn all the functions of actionscript.
    After that you can go solo.

It does take alot more time to master Actionscript, dont get me wrong. But AS is one of the easiest languages to learn.

Try looking around for some AS3 books on the net. With that animation skill you should easily be able to make your money back in games.

Thanks very much guys. I'm focusing mainly on comedy animated YouTube videos at the moment cus I'm gunna be a YouTube partner soon. I still want to make the game but I'll treat it as a side project. There's a guy on here who wants to work with me. Him programming. Me animating. So I think I'm gunna do that. I will learn ActionScript at some point. Just have to overcome my low boredom threshold. I'll upload some more sprites and things soon.

For more info on the creation of the game head over to my blog: http://oscar-baldwin.blogspot.com/

Oscar I would be interested in helping you I know a think or two about action script. I love the sprites. I like to make games but I hate taking the time to do all the animating lol. You should come to this thread and talk about a group project with us.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=825673