A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: server connection for flash

server connection for flash

hii friends.. pls help me.. i have developed the codings for a game in flash... but now the problem is that i have to host it in a server.. i really dont have an idea of what are all the things needed to be done now... am i supposed to write any codings for server connection?? and what else am i suppose to do?? any tutorials available?? i surfed google but still i am having no idea about this... pls help me friends... any help will be appreciated.... thanks in advance...

well Flash Media Server 4.5 is what you need or Red5 or WoWza media servers are available if you are comfortable with using eclipse to write server side java code Flash Media server uses actionscript 1.0 on the serverside and AS 3.0 on the client. to connect to any of these servers you need to write client side connection script. If you want to pursue this then goto http://www.fmsguru.com click on the tutorials tab and follow them all for either Flash Media Server or Wowza Graeme doesn't do much with Red5 but if you can program Wowza then u can program red5 the pros and cons of these three servers is as follow. Adobe owns flash media server and it is expensive however a developer edtion is free of charge but has restrictions on how many connections you can make. Wowza is a little cheaper than Flash Media Server the developer edtion is avaliabe but again with 10 connection limit but Adobe has sued them so you should really think about whether or not they will be around in the future. Red5 is free open source and you can have as many connections you like but it is flaky poorly documented and if you wish to record video streams you better only install version 0.8.0 If you install red5 use the installer. However to write Red5 server side code you must download the source from SVN and import it into eclipse. It will throw many errors I have never gotten eclipse to compile it. However despite those errors you will have all the necessary files to write Red5 serverside code plus you will be able to import all the necessary prewritten classes.

hope this helps

--calmchess
    ~calmchess~

thank you so much.... it is really helpfull