A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Changing Symbol type with actionscript

Changing Symbol type with actionscript

Is it possible, (after adding a MovieClip to the stage), to change the Symbol type to a graphic?

I want the clip to behave like a 'graphic' symbol so that it doesn't play independently, and animates with it's parent clip

Ө_ө sleepy mod
    Select the clip on stage - in the properties panel there is a pulldown that should say MovieClip - change that to Graphic.
    Please use [php] or [code] tags, and mark your threads resolved 8)

Quote Originally Posted by neznein9 View Post
    Select the clip on stage - in the properties panel there is a pulldown that should say MovieClip - change that to Graphic.
    Thanks but I want to achieve this using Actionscript

Quote Originally Posted by friendlygiraffe View Post
    Is it possible, (after adding a MovieClip to the stage), to change the Symbol type to a graphic?

I want the clip to behave like a 'graphic' symbol so that it doesn't play independently, and animates with it's parent clip
    The best way to do this would be to use the MovieClips built in play() and stop() functions. Tell it to stop until it's needed then play it.

If you REALLY need it to be a Graphic, I'd suggest making another Graphic object and switch them out when needed. You cannot retype an object like that. You SHOULD be able to create a NEW Graphics object based on data from, say, frame 1 of the MovieClip object.

How action script savvy are you?
    "...there were only two good books in the hotel gift shop and I had written both of them."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks for your reply. I ended up using actionscript to achieve this as I realised it isn't really possible to change it to a graphic