A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Database as a service

Database as a service

I'm working on a game where the player can design a spaceship and use it to fight other spaceships, which are designs from other players controlled by the AI (thread here). This has me looking for a way to store this, with he ability to make a few calls to the database per play, to get some fresh designs each play.

As I'm looking for a service which can be easily combined with a virtual currency to be able to sell players extra parts and upgrades GamerSafe looks interesting with it's LevelVault. Does anybody have any other interesting options worth checking out?

Tnx in advance!

Damn, playerIO really has become a featurerich solution. Hard to find anything that'll beat that.

I know Mochi does both of those things.. I think Playtomic might as well? I know they have a storage API at least.

Hey redjag, I looked at Mochi: I could find a coins API, but not really something to store data. Well user data and definitions of stuff you can sell, but not something like user generated content. Have I missed someting?

I looked a Playtomic and it uses Parse to offer DbaaS. Now Parse has a weird pricing model, to charge you per request/objects in storage. I find this model a bit strange to say the least as it doesn't really reward you for keeping your data compact (which would mean less resources for Parse). I did some calculations and only the most expensive plan makes a request of a somewhat reasonable price. For that kind of money you can rent a high-end VPS though, so I don't really know why I should bother with Parse. I'd rather build my own backend.

It may not be what you're looking for but it is under the Social API umbrella: https://en.mochimedia.com/support/de..._mochiuserdata