A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Looking for game development partners, Skill level: Knowledgable to Intermediate.

Lightbulb Looking for game development partners, Skill level: Knowledgable to Intermediate.

Looking to develop a flash game and potentially make some money with the completed project by submitting it to Facebook or porting it to the Iphone.

I am new to Flash myself so do not feel unqualified. My origins come from C/C++ and I'm familiar with multiple languages including Web Development. Actionscript will be no trouble for me to help out with, I have experience with graphic software and I have a great eye when it comes to design. I'm familiar with UML and design layouts. This is not required in our project as I'm open to suggestions. Looking for someone who can either: Program Actionscript, Make Graphics or Pixelart, Maybe audio is your field of expertise? I would like to make an isometric game, but we can pool ideas and figure out where we are going with this project. I am very devoted to what I do, you will not have to worry about my work ethics.

Please let me know if your interested. Serious inquiry's only.

No money is being offered. The finished product will be marketed by whatever means we can come up with. Once we make money, it will be split equally between whoever is involved unless you are not a active participant and if that is the case we can adjust your percentage accordingly.

Thank you, hopefully someone out there will be wanting to change their life and contact me on this. I'm going to complete the project however it is much easier when your not the only one doing everything.
    Last edited by tonypa; 11-29-2011 at 03:44 AM.

Hi Tony (? I see tonypa last edited your note).

My name is Warren, and I'm also looking to make some small scale games (with an eye towards exploring the worlds of flash hubs and porting to iTunes apps). mostly, i'm tired of working solo, and eager to see if I can find a team of like minded types.

I create flash exercises for a university (programming mostly in AS3 and PHP) and have a CS degree, but I mostly spend my spare time drawing comics and writing scripts. if you'd like ot get in touch, drop me a line at hotmail.com (warrenEBB@)

- If your name "pr4nq" is meant to be Prank, you amay commence laughing at my gullibility.

none

I sent you a reply to your hotmail. Check it out and thanks for offering your skills.

Getting back into flash!

Hey guys! I have been thinking this exact thing for a long time. I took a break from flash for about 2-3 well . . . maybe even like 5 years or so, but i'm totally getting back into it. I've been working on a Diablo type game that I could really use some help with. I have the basic engine down as far as map, movement, battles ect. I have been seeing all these commercials about apps for iphones, smart phones, ipads, this tablet, that tablet and I was into flash way before any of this came out. I don't know anything about AS3 hence, I have been gone so long. I am trying to re-learn all my AS 2 skills. I'm glad to hear that Tonypa is active. He was my buddy and has helped me with games in the past. I'm sad to say that all my work has been deleted from past computers/computer wipes from viruses, so I don't have much work I can use to demonstrate but I will post a link to the game I am working on. I have been wanting to form a group of serious programmers to make games with. I not going to lie my action scripting is pretty basic. I mostly just use if then statements lol. I know a little html xml css but that's about it.

Controls for the game are:

Move character: W,A,S,D 0r up down left right

Attack: Space

Stats: C

Run: Shift

attack is space((It used to attack by clicking the mouse like diablo, but I don't know how to make the character follow the mouse face the mouse position and stuff like that. like attack towards mouse when click run to spot that is clicked. I am actually wondering. Is there a code of action script that is just when the mouse is clicked? No matter what you click. everything I try pops the error: On click events are only permitted for buttons. So basically just clicking the mouse something will happen. How do you do that? Like if I click on a spot then I can make my character run there with an action script teen or something.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/843/ss6.mp4/
    http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8820/ss6.mp4

try this link. The internet i'm using is really ****ty and I'm not able to view it. IF that doesn't work I will send another one.

I don't take credit for the inventory system. I think I got that off of the files section of this web site. I have been messing around with it. You will notice that when you click the skeleton at the top left, then I made it so that the next item that is dropped is called boneClub and it drops right next to the skeleton. I also made it so when you drop an item outside of the inventory, then it lands right next to the character. I will upload one other file too it's for the character creation page I'm working on.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/190/9wn.mp4/
    http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7562/9wn.mp4

My big problems that I need help with right now are:

Making the inventory system fully functional
    When the boneClub item is placed in slot18 which is the right hand then
    I can make something happen like playerDmg = random(4) + 1 + stMod;
    I want to add graphics to each individual item, maybe animations when you drop them with a sound like gold sound, weapon sound, armor sound, Diablo like sounds. I also want to find out how to make some items stack-able and other items not stack-able. I want to work on making the inventory in a second from of a movie clip, with the first one blank and referencing everything through the MC and making the bonuses and stuff work through the MC. So that you can open and close the inventory like the character sheet. I also want to make it so the windows are drag-able.

my Second problem. I need to make it so that all of the stats created in the character creation screen are then transferred to the game engine. I don't know how I should do that. Like if I make the character creation screen in scene one, then the game in scene two, can you transfer actions from scene one to scene two? Like if St is set to 18 giving you a st Mod of +4 then can I some how reference the st Mod variable created in scene one? I tried just making the character creation screen in an mc in the main game, but then the duplicated rats were like running over the screen. I guess I could just make them invisible until you press the start button or something.

anyways sorry i'm rambling on. I hope to hear from you guys and I hope that we can create something cool together, I really want to start doing something for profit, or atlest start finishing and publishing things. Maybe this could lead to us creating a website that just brings people together to create and share awesome games.

Can someone please test these links?? I don't know if the internet sucks, my browser sucks or what but these links aren't showing anything for me.

no they werent working for me either. btw i love diablo. not sure i can help right now i've got my head dug into something myself but i am interested in keepin you as a contact. admin@legitcode.com

ok try this link for character creation

http://megaswf.com/serve/1449784

and this for the engine itself

http://megaswf.com/serve/1449813
    http://megaswf.com/serve/1449858

for those who aren't interested in joining a group to make a game your feedback and help on this game would still be appreciated.
    Thanks!

the last links work try it out and give me some feedback

Mate, could I suggest not trying to do a Diablo like clone, esp. in as2.

I've done a procedurally based RPG, and it's insane amount of work. Even with the game generating the content on the fly there's still loads of content you need to put in there, and that's once the game engine itself is working.

I'd recommend biting the bullet, get yourself a copy of Flash Develop, download Flixel and start making something relatively simple in as3.
    There's nothing more inspiring than finishing a game, a 100 pretty prototypes don't count for anything.

Squize.

Squize

I agree with Squize and honestly this thread wasn't going in the right direction so i've almost scrapped it. The development has already started and a team has been gathered. If anyone who is serious and is not a novice, preferably mid to skilled level or at the least able to bring something to the table please feel free to contact me admin@legitcode.com

Still looking for a graphic artist. If you would like more details like I said above just contact me in email. I haven't pursued any of the prior post so don't be discouraged, however I felt that my skill level surpassed. We are not novice developers and are not looking for beginners. It's my fault for posting Knowledgable to Intermediate as the title for the post, so
    let me correct myself here because its more like Intermediate and above. I don't have time to teach someone everything. The people I am looking for are able to jump right in with little help and really the only help should be a run down of how the project is layed out, the base idea, known bugs/issues "which are tracked"... things like that. I'm sure someone
    will have something smart to say. I'm still kicking myself in the rear for making the title of the post what it is. What was i thinking.....
    Last edited by pr4nq; 02-02-2012 at 06:00 AM.

It's never easy getting a team together mate.

It's always better having an artist onboard at the start, but it's not the end of the world to greybox a game, if it's good enough you'll have artists throwing themselves at you to come onboard.

Good luck with it.

Squize.

thanks for the positive feedback man.

Im back baby!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Squize View Post
    Mate, could I suggest not trying to do a Diablo like clone, esp. in as2.

I've done a procedurally based RPG, and it's insane amount of work. Even with the game generating the content on the fly there's still loads of content you need to put in there, and that's once the game engine itself is working.

I'd recommend biting the bullet, get yourself a copy of Flash Develop, download Flixel and start making something relatively simple in as3.
    There's nothing more inspiring than finishing a game, a 100 pretty prototypes don't count for anything.

Squize.

Squize, you dont know me, but i know you. Ive followed alot of your work over the years. I just want to say thanks for mentioning Flixel. Ive never used it before, just downloaded it, and.. zomg. <3 <3 <3
    howdy pardner!

Cool, good to hear.

Check out http://www.photonstorm.com/ if you're getting into Flixel, Rich posts a lot about it there, although with him moving over to html5 I guess the posts will slow down, but there's a ton of great stuff on there.

Squize.