A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to import AVI into 3d studio max????

I have a short avi movie clip that i want to import into 3D studio MAX ver 3.0 so that i can insert a 3d max animation on top of the avi, and then render to a new avi file. Is there anyway to do this. I would just combine the two avi clips in premeire or something, but I need the 3d max file to be transparent except fot the actual object being animated. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Dave
    dgervase@hotmail.com

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Yes, I do this all the time. The two basic steps are to assign the video to a viewport background (View | Background) and to use it as an environment map for the background of the rendered scene. This is accomplished with the Rendering | Environment dialog.

If you don't have camera measurements from the original video, then you will have to perspective-match your effects. Render your AVI as you normally would.

You can get more info. from the MAX User's Guide and I believe there is a tutorial on this in the MAX Tutorials manual.

good luck!

theMatrix,

I was able to assign the video to the viewport so that I can watch the animation in MAX, but it won't render. Exactly, how do I use it as an environment map. I went to rendering | environment, but I'm stuck there. I click on the box under environment map, but I don't know which option to choose. I'm sure this is easy and I'm just missing something. Thanks again for your help.

dave

never mind i got it to work!

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

It's always tricky that first one or two times

With Video Post, you can do some interesting 3D compositing right inside of MAX - http://www.2112fx.com/video2.html .

good luck!

whats the easiest way to convert an avi to streaming media, and do I need any special server programs set-up to do this?

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Personally, I like Media Cleaner Pro - http://www.terran-int.com . QuickTime's progressive download is not true streaming (it's http streaming), but it monitors download progress and starts the video as soon as it thinks enough has been loaded to play the remainder without stopping. No server support required.

MCP will encode Real, ASF, and more, so you have quite a few options.

good luck!