A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Simple Web Design Question

Simple Web Design Question

I have a simple webdesign question. I decided to develop a website in flash based off a layout I made in photoshop. I attached a picture of said layout below. What I am attempting to do seems simple but has been baffling the hell out of me for quite a while. I want to turn all the links, i.e. "About, Music etc."
    into buttons that can be clicked and will automatically change the text to the corresponding content in the gray area. That way the site remains simply on one page with all the information easily accessed. Can anyone walk me through this? I feel like a simpleton as I'm sure it is very simple! Thank YOU!

If you can't even make buttons, then it means that you're completely new to Flash. You should look up tutorials on the internet, there are tons to get you started

To make the buttons clickable, draw a shape on the button which fits the shape of the button, select the shape, press F8, choose Button, and press OK to convert it to a button. Double-click the newly created button, and you'll find a Frame, grey square, in the Timeline. Click on that frame, and drag it 3 steps to the right, so that it's on the frame called, HIT. Double-click anywhere to get outside the button, and then copy that button and paste it above the other graphic buttons. Press CTRL+ENTER to test your movie, and you'll see that they're clickable!

For the content showing, you'll need to describe a bit more, what you want. Can you possibly post the design you've made in Photoshop, and/or possibly the FLA file you've started on?

Hope this helps
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

Excuse me, I posted this very late last night and this is the Newbie forum. I do know how to make buttons, do basic animation, I even used to make simple flash games when flash was a macromedia product circa 2004-2005. I honestly havent touched the program since. Im sorry I thought I presented you with an image of my layout.

Here we are: http://imageshack.us/f/827/sitelayoutdro.gif/

As you can see, the parts of the image above "Danny Boy Dro" need to be image mapped and when clicked produce different text information in the middle of the screen. I do not know the actionscript for this and there are so many tutorials on this site, I felt like this was a more individual question.

cbal
    If it's only text you want to show, the simplest way is to create a textBox in the empty area, assign a variable to it in the Properties tab, then follow Nig 13's instructions to create the 'invisible' buttons and have the actions of each button be:

on (release) {
    variableName = "Insert text content here";
    }

You'll probably want to declare a default value in the frame where the textBox first appears, which would be the text for your first section.