A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: input text fields - not working???

input text fields - not working???

Hi There!
    I wasn't sure where to put this question, so I will start here!

I'm pretty new to Flash, but I feel like I have a good grip on the ins and outs of the program, however I am stumped with this Input text field issue...

First of all, I can create a brand NEW blank Flash CS4 (AS3) file, place an input text box, give it an instance name of "name_txt" and then test the movie and it works! (meaning: I can enter text into the SWF where the text box is) This is great!

However, in the Flash file I am actually working in, this same method does not work and I am stumped! And, I have been following a tutorial step by step and it works in the tutorial, but not in my flash document.

So, my Flash document (again, CS4, AS3) has a movie clip that I animated with some AS3. (just like the tutorial) And, within this movie clip is a "Contact Page" movie clip. (just like the tutorial) And, within this "Contact Page" movie clip, I enter in 3 Input text boxes, and give it an instance name of "name_txt" or "email_txt" or "message_txt" (again, just like the tutorial), and when I go to test the movie, I see the text boxes, but I can't enter any information into them???

I've tried deleting, going over, going back through the tutorial and nothing is working.

I even turned off the computer and came back to this issue the next day, re-going over the Tutorial, and my file, step by step and I still have this issue.

I'm totally stumped!

Is there any reason why an Input text box wouldn't work?? Please help!

You sure they are INPUT Textfields, and not DYNAMIC?
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

Yes, I am absolutely, 100% percent positive they are "Input" text fields.

I did some experimenting. This issue probably has something to do with my Movie Clips.

Here is the web link:
    http://www.deanasphotography.com/

You will see that the "homepage" "about" "portfolio" and "contact" pages rotate left to right on their x axis. They are their own SEPERATE movie clips, in which I grouped into ONE movie clip called "content_mc". It is the "content_mc" that moves on the x axis when you click on the relevant buttons.

Here is the interesting part. If I put a random "input text" field on the homepage (and within the Homepage movie clip), it works with no problem. I can enter in text.

I put this SAME Input text field on the contact page (or the Portfolio and About pages) the input text does not work.

Totally stumped!

please provide FLA file

The FLA file is 6mb, so I uploaded it to YouSendIt.com, and the link below is where you can download it. The link will expire in 6-10 days....

https://www.yousendit.com/download/T...d0kzMW40WjlVag

Thanks so much!!

I wonder what that WhiteBox is doing there, above the text, blocking the user from typing anything

Just move the WhiteBox layer below the Contact layer, and the problem should be fixed!

and btw, to make Flash display all the characters which are typed, click on one of the textfields, and press the EMBED button in the Properties Panel, and tick/check Uppercase, Lowercase, Numerals and Punctuation, and press OK

Ohhh WOW... that did it!!

This whole site, I designed in Photoshop. I created a white box that "framed" the site (its mostly black and white) and I created this in Photoshop. Apparently, Flash brought this box in with a fill (??) and it kept me from being able to do anything that fell behind it. And, everything falls behind it.

I deleted the "photoshop" version, and redrew this white outline/box in Flash, using no fill, and it works. Love it!!

Thanks sooo much!! This has been driving me nuts longer than I am willing to admit... hahaha!!!

No problem