A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: my Tower Defense game

my Tower Defense game

so i have been a long time lurker on flashkit, but i just recently joined.

check out the tower defense game that i created. i am not an artist, so be kind to the programmer art

let me know what you think.

http://teeceetee.com/flash/TileGame/TileGame.html

173 views and no responses?

i hope the game isnt that bad

did you program all the sprites or draw them?

all the towers and enemies are movie clips that i created by hand.

the enemy movie clips are made up of 4 key frames; one for each direction of travel.
    the towers are made up of 2 separate single key framed movie clips. one for the base and one for the turret. the turret is then rotated to face an enemy.

however, in game, each tower and enemy is an individual object that has events attached to it that control the AI, targeting, movement, firing, etc...

you should try to use graphic commands now, and see if you can redo the whole game with action script only ^_^ and define all the functions from the stage, will help you learn a lot!

Im making that transition in my programing now!

I love this game!
    I beat it several times. ^.^

and now...the constructive criticism

The gameplay is great, but the graphics look too simple. There isn't much eye candy. This is just my opinion of course..

One other thing..
    When I won the last round, I had no idea I won. It took me a few seconds to find the small "YOU WIN" text.
    Perhaps make some kind of large popup screen with large letters?

GG

Quote Originally Posted by HighSchoolSux View Post
    I love this game!
    I beat it several times. ^.^

and now...the constructive criticism

The gameplay is great, but the graphics look too simple. There isn't much eye candy. This is just my opinion of course..

One other thing..
    When I won the last round, I had no idea I won. It took me a few seconds to find the small "YOU WIN" text.
    Perhaps make some kind of large popup screen with large letters?

GG
    thanks for the complements.

ya, i know the graphics are plain and simple and there isnt much eye candy, but i am a software engineer and not an artist heh... the art that you see is about the best i can do with my art skills even if the game isnt super flashy (ooh... no pun there), i can at least concentrate on gameplay. i cant tell you many games that i have played over the years that look fricken awesome, but are mind numbing, boring, or just plain awful. i tried to make a game that is fun to play, challenging, and offers some thinking and planning (for example with the selectable tower AI). i perfer gameplay over graphics.

you are right, i could have made the "win" much more obvious. maybe for the next game

thanks for your comments.

I played your game, and first off let me just say how quickly my time melted away while playing the first 20 rounds of the easy map. The only downside I encountered was that the ranged turrets after being fully upgraded, which I was able to do with one at round 20, can one-hit anything that isn't a boss. Also since they have such a long range, and if placed in the middle can hit just about anything, I kept the game running in another tab and went onto facebook for the next 15 rounds, coming back to use the gold I had amassed to build another long range turret and fully upgrade it. I then spent the last 15 waves back on facebook. Honestly this isn't really something that's wrong with your game, just that some numbers should be adjusted so that the final upgraded version of any turret isn't too powerful.
    All in all though it's a really fun game, and I can't wait to try out the other two maps

Quote Originally Posted by KenWheadon View Post
    I played your game, and first off let me just say how quickly my time melted away while playing the first 20 rounds of the easy map. The only downside I encountered was that the ranged turrets after being fully upgraded, which I was able to do with one at round 20, can one-hit anything that isn't a boss. Also since they have such a long range, and if placed in the middle can hit just about anything, I kept the game running in another tab and went onto facebook for the next 15 rounds, coming back to use the gold I had amassed to build another long range turret and fully upgrade it. I then spent the last 15 waves back on facebook. Honestly this isn't really something that's wrong with your game, just that some numbers should be adjusted so that the final upgraded version of any turret isn't too powerful.
    All in all though it's a really fun game, and I can't wait to try out the other two maps
    thanks for the feedback. i agree. i was thinking that the sniper towers are too powerful as well. however, on some of the more difficult maps, you need a tower that powerful. you know that there are 48 maps, right?

i played this quite a few times, very nicely done!
    for the sniper thing;
    generally when you use sniper towers they are very sparse. so maybe you could introduce a freeze enemy that froze the towers when they were in range. that would force the players to balance the snipers out with other towers.
    again this is a very well done game. congratulations
    if you got a graphics guy to whip up some images you might get a decent price for it on FGL.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Pretty good, however, I find it annoying that you can't 1) jump to next wave, 2) speed up between spawn or preferably not reset speed, 3) select another tower without deselecting current tower.

My Tower Defense game

Hey great game.It seems you are a programmer.Nice Attempt.It is too good.I like it so much.

oh. cool, you can't implement more graphics to make it really interesting. Great job dude. keep it up.