A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Trying to buy a Mac

Trying to buy a Mac

But I can't afford a lot so I'm buying used in Craigslist. I'm not too familiar though.

I can get a used 21 inch with 2.16ghz intel core 2 Dou, 1.5 gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdrram and 10.5.8 on it for $400,

OR

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz processors, a 1.0GHz system bus, 512kb L2 Cache (per CPU) 2GB RAM, Superdrive along with a 160GB HD, 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 XT video card installed, Leopard OS 10.5.8, No monitor. For $250

I already have a 21 so don't really NEED the monitor, so aside from the risk of robbery or murder, what do you all think?
    Last edited by ViRGo_RK; 01-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Don't go with the G5. You'll be shut out of all of the Intel stuff.

And hit up Apple's refurbish stuff. You can find a generation back iMac for like 700.00 with a warranty. I'd pay the extra money for the peace of mind of being able to get it serviced.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but if you're already with monitor, keyboard and mouse, why not go Mac Mini? I just got a generation back for like 540.00 from Best Buy.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

400 is definitely the upper limit of what I can afford at the moment, I'm using it for video editing mostly

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

If you really need it, I have a Mac Mini that I can sell to you. When do you need it exactly?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    Yes, you need Intel these days. I'm on a ppc G5, lovely machine but as Gerbs says there's a lot of stuff won't run.
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

I really appreciate the kind offer Gerbick. What it has helped me do is re-evaluate my impulse to buy. This should be an investment, not just on a whimsy. I'm not sure I can justify the purchase to myself, so I'll have to wait. You're a stand-up dude.

And the Intel's a great tip that I was vaguely aware of, but didn't really know why. Now I know.