A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Flash Dead?

Is Flash Dead?

I just had to ask. I hope not!

last time i checked hell no... #flexSDK and flash 11.. not to mention the new 3d features....

http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/?promoid=ITXQR

its just evolving to a object oriented programing platform...

Quote Originally Posted by YBAB View Post
    last time i checked hell no... #flexSDK and flash 11.. not to mention the new 3d features....

http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/?promoid=ITXQR

its just evolving to a object oriented programing platform...
    Thanks for the info. I'll read up. I hope Flash is around for a long, long time.

like you?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

If the internet was a girl, it'd be an awkward 12 year old who's always on the phone. Flash is her favorite toy that she'll keep forever.
    Once we get through this awkward phase, flash may surge back with a vengeance.

stage3d is all i gotta say...

I hope not, she has been in my life for so long. I still love her!
    I have been doing a lot of PHP and JQuery lately though.

Any good reason to ask this question??
    FFA

html5 canvas...

html5 canvas...
    so no then...

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    html5 canvas...
    That is certainly not a Flash killer. Once people realise how clunky the code and how limited it is, it will stop being something people lust after. It might get better at basic animations, so ad-makers may come to like it more, but otherwise no. Support is still limited browser-wise.

The other thing is, of course that more and more mobile devices are coming out that support SWF, and once again the mac iOS devices are becoming less relevant.

In January 2012, Android held a massive 58.9% of the market (almost twice the share of their nearest competitor iOS at 32.2%). Without Steve Jobs at the helm, I think apple's cutting edge will get a little blunter in the next year or two.

I also expect that there will be a big push by Microsoft to get their Windows8 OS into many more devices in the next year, to lift their current market share from the measly 0.5% they currently have. This just requires more logistic dancing around with tablet and phone manufacturers, and the choreography is complex and takes time to perfect.

Android and Windows still support SWF and the Flash Player, and Adobe seems to be continuing to develop Flash tools, albeit a little slower than in the past.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/
    it opens up a lot of doors...

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/
    it opens up a lot of doors...
    I'm still not convinced.

Yes, color cycling is pretty cool, I agree. Those examples are very nice ...but we are still talking primarily animation, Flash is a good animation tool and it has a very powerful scripting language all of its own.

Until HTML5 can make animations that are truly interactive and make calls to databases and have complex script-driven animation and methods, I think that there will be a place for SWF. Using a menu to change parameters is not always what is needed.

If you visit - http://www.effectgames.com/effect/ar...ing_with_HTML5 ...you can download the source code for the color cycling engine.

The artist who made those examples is famous and they were done a fair while ago, they have just been used by the maker of the color cycling engine.

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    ...and if one does download the source code and opens even just main.js in wordpad, you will see why AS will be around for a bit of a while yet, unless there are lots of JS gods around.

Here is just a little tiny snippet of the code from one of the 9 javascripts used with this color cycle engine to make the color cycle animation -

Code:
    if (this.clock % this.settings.targetFPS == 0) $('d_debug').innerHTML = 'FPS: ' + FrameCount.current;
    			}

this.bmp.palette.cycle( this.bmp.palette.baseColors, GetTickCount(), this.settings.speedAdjust, this.settings.blendShiftEnabled );
    			if (this.highlightColor > -1) {
    				this.bmp.palette.colors[ this.highlightColor ] = new Color(255, 255, 255);
    			}
    			if (this.globalBrightness < 1.0) {
    				// bmp.palette.fadeToColor( pureBlack, 1.0 - globalBrightness, 1.0 );
    				this.bmp.palette.burnOut( 1.0 - this.globalBrightness, 1.0 );
    			}
    			this.bmp.render( this.imageData, (this.lastBrightness == this.globalBrightness) && (this.highlightColor == this.lastHighlightColor) );
    			this.lastBrightness = this.globalBrightness;
    			this.lastHighlightColor = this.highlightColor;

this.ctx.putImageData( this.imageData, 0, 0 );

TweenManager.logic( this.clock );
    			this.clock++;
    			FrameCount.count();
    			this.scaleAnimate();
    			if (this.inGame) setTimeout( function() { CanvasCycle.animate(); }, 1000 / this.settings.targetFPS );
    		}
    	},

scaleAnimate: function() {
    		// handle scaling image up or down
    		if (this.settings.zoomFull) {
    			// scale up to full size
    			var totalNativeWidth = this.contentSize.width + this.contentSize.optionsWidth;
    			var maxScaleX = (this.winSize.width - 30) / totalNativeWidth;

var totalNativeHeight = this.contentSize.height;
    			var maxScaleY = (this.winSize.height - 30) / totalNativeHeight;

var maxScale = Math.min( maxScaleX, maxScaleY );

if (this.contentSize.scale != maxScale) {
    				this.contentSize.scale += ((maxScale - this.contentSize.scale) / 8);
    				if (Math.abs(this.contentSize.scale - maxScale) < 0.001) this.contentSize.scale = maxScale; // close enough
    NOTE: the code is released under the LGPL v3.0 licence so I don't think I am breaching any copyright by re-publishing a snippet here.

Quote Originally Posted by david petley View Post
    I'm still not convinced.

Yes, color cycling is pretty cool, I agree. Those examples are very nice ...but we are still talking primarily animation, Flash is a good animation tool and it has a very powerful scripting language all of its own.

Until HTML5 can make animations that are truly interactive and make calls to databases and have complex script-driven animation and methods, I think that there will be a place for SWF. Using a menu to change parameters is not always what is needed.

If you visit - http://www.effectgames.com/effect/ar...ing_with_HTML5 ...you can download the source code for the color cycling engine.

The artist who made those examples is famous and they were done a fair while ago, they have just been used by the maker of the color cycling engine.

Ajax and Jquery can handle any sort of animations and if you want anything super crazy tweening just download a library with some classes to call that will do them for you... I used to be a flash man, but the more research im doing im starting to lean tword html5, Im gonna do and experiment where I program a complete custom GUI in a canvas element so that It looks like you just started a program in your web browser and control the links and what happens on the canvas through hidden divs and mouse overs/clicks...

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I am not a flash evangelist or anything, but it still just seems like re-inventing the wheel to me, and making it a far more complex wheel at that.

I wouldn't really be surprised to see a Flash Player plug-in for the iOS in the future, even though everyone says no way.

I wouldn't really be surprised to see a Flash Player plug-in for the iOS in the future, even though everyone says no way.
    I would be incredibly surprised to see this. Their iOS product stream is robust enough without it - they continue to gain market share...they OWN the tablet market.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Apple would send developers to everyone's office to type code for them before they'd back off on flash.

@YBAB please come back and post about you're experiences in making html do what flash did 10 years ago. Remember you haven't truly replaced it unti it works everywhere.

Read a great quote on twitter the other day. "Lets all ditch flash because it doesn't work on mobile and build a bunch of html5 that doesn't work on mobile."

There is a huge momentum behind js right now so it's getting easier and easier to make it do what you want but it's just sad that using multiple libraries and a V8 engine is pretty much a requirement.

Carl Sagan said to bake an apple pie from scratch you must first create the universe. This is how I feel about js. To make js work, you must first write thousands of lines of code to fix js.

I doubt that. Adobe already announced they won't keep making flash work on mobile platforms, and they've been working on tools for html5. Flash won't go away for a long time, but it's clear that most of the web is trying hard to move on.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

How much further would you expect flash to grow?

In My Opinion flash is already a well matured platform. If adobe were to extend it's capabilites say..... vrml It would be a major bloat to the player.

This isn't my beautiful wife, this isn't my beautiful car.