A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [WIP] NinjaX

[WIP] NinjaX

http://boxofsoap.com/work/gamedev/ni...ndex_wide.html

not sure if anyone remembers but last year I posted a multiplayer demo with some ninja platforming action. Well, that totally failed, but out of it came another game... ninjaX. The game is almost complete, mainly doing level tweaks, fixing bugs and making things look pretty.

let me know how it performs, its running on the GPU now so it should be nice and smooth. (I have noticed weird frame drops to 40 on chrome at random times, moving the mouse around seems to fix).

so yeah, have a play, let me know if you like the levels, too hard, too easy.

Thanks.

That's all kinds of lovely, the between level art is stunning.

I struggled a bit with the rope tutorial, and I felt that the tuts were a little barren, nothing to collect with some nice eye candy reward for doing so, also something at the end of the level, even if it's just another marker would be nice.

Silky smooth for me ( Only running HD3000 graphics wise ).

It reminded me of Outland, which is never a bad thing, and William and Sly 2.

What 2D wrapper are you using, or did you roll your own ?

Squize.

thanks Squize, yeah the tutorials really suck, not happy with them at all, too much text. If only I had a wise sensai animation, I'd make him show you what to do

that outland game looks cool, gotta try that out.

As for the gpu stuff, its custom, optimized for tile based rendering. It doesn't have any of the features of starling/ND2d like alpha and a display list. It was a good learning experience, getting to know how it all works, AGAL, vertex buffers, shaders, blend modes... once you see full screen rendering of animated tiles, you can't go back to copy pixels. You can never go back.

I thought you'd do your own engine, that's kinda your way ( I mean that in a good way, I just don't have the words to convey it properly ).

ND2d excites the wee out of me, it's just Adobe screwing with Alchemy which is putting me off, as I want to use Nape ( Like copypixels, there's no going back to box2D after using that ).

Outland is very very lovely, I can really recommend it.

I don't know if your account is still active on the board ( Olli has culls of inactive members ), but post it up there mate, the feedback is always gold.
    For the tuts, maybe zooming in on the sprite ? Or a picture in picture close up with the text in a speech bubble ?
    Also some collectables, even if they're impossible to miss, just so the post level score screen makes more sense for the tut levels. I've kind of got into the habit of giving players easy wins early on, its the one good thing casual games have brought to the table, so something as simple as gold coins that are in place for the wall jumps would just give the player that good win feeling as they're learning.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I'm liking it lots so far.

Squize.

I did like the art. Drawings were lovely. However, its not the kind of game I would enjoy playing, too much work to control the hero properly.

It did hang up for few seconds when moving around. While it scrolls, everything feels nice and smooth and then it all hangs. You wait a little, it goes back to smooth. Until next hangup. Could be general Stage3D problems since I remember having such problems before with other Stage3D content too. No idea what exactly is the cause since some GPU accelerated games run very well. Tested on Opera/Win8.

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    The textures are amazing, if you ever add multiplayer you should make like teams and one team has to capture the other teams ninja star :P