A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: swf background

swf background

can a swf.movie background be transparent? I've set the background of my HTML page to an image but I want the swf.movie background to be clear. Is that possible?

Super Moderator
    yes - File > Export Settings - html tab - transparent background -- transparency is set in the html not the swf

thank you for that info, but I think i want the reverse. I want my background image to exapnd the entire screen and not just the size of the movie clip. Is there a way to do that?

My alternative was to set the background image in the <body> tag of the HTML page but when i do that the movie file displays on top of the background. How do I fix this problem? I want the body of the HTML page set to a background image.

thank you

Super Moderator
    I don't understand. Is the background image set in html? If so, you want the image to expand to the size of the browser window? That will look horrible if the image has be resampled over 1X.

I'm sorry to confuse you but this is my situation: I have an image that I would like to use as my background. I've sized the image to 1200 width and 1000 height. Then I set my html body background to the image. When I open the HTML page, the entire screen displays my background image the way it should.

Now, my KoolMoves movie width is 960 and height is 600. If I set the movie background to my image instead of the HTML body, then the image only displays using the size settings of the movie. That's ok except the remaining space around the movie doesn't display my image.

So, this is why I set my HTML body to the image and wondered if the background of the movie can be transparent so that the background image of the HTML page is displayed.

I want to be able to see the background image. Currently, my movie background is solid black so that's what I see and the space around the movie I see the background image. How can I acheive that task or is it even possible?

Hopefully I explained that a little better. Bare with me please.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi Bob,

I think I may have found the answer. I've been searching and I found the following tutorial: "Transparent Background by Propeller Head Graphix " .. I will try this and let you know if I am successful. Thanks for your assistance.

Talking of transparent backgrounds... Bob, is there a plan for a transparent background when exporting as .png?

Cheers
    Steve

Super Moderator
    No plans. The png is screen captured with the current background. I have no idea how to create the png for a transparent background.

Degenerate and baise art thou. docree's Avatar

Lightbulb

To answer the original question, a swf background can be transparent.
    Bob gave you the instructions for that.
    However, if you add the background or a filled shape in the background of your swf it will not be transparent.
    So just select a color for your background. This background color will be ignored.

To remove the background image for the swf in KoolMoves.
    Movie > Background Image > Click the Clear Button
    Export with the transparent settings.
    Then edit the html so it has the background you want.

---------

If you need a transparent PNG it's easier said than done.
    But you can select a background color that is not in your "drawing".
    Then after a raster export [exporting as an image] you can use an editor to erase that color to a transparent alpha.
    You will still get some of the background color near edges. That's why it's easier said than done.

-Dock

Dock! where have you been hiding?

Degenerate and baise art thou. docree's Avatar
    Thanks, blanius!
    I've still been tooling around with KM and occasionally lurking here.
    But my interests have gone more towards multimedia for live entertainment
    and artwork, rather than web design and development. I just think that
    there are enough people here, better equipped than I am, to answer most of
    these topics.

I've been working on a variety show featuring artistic puppetry, multimedia, magic,
    and sideshow stunts. The show is called "Comedy Mayhem". http://comedymayhem.com < Cheap site made by the company. No KM stuff.

So, that's what Iv'e been up to lately.
    -Dock

Sounds great Docree. I liked the Magic by Technology video on your site.