A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how do I put the whole stage into a movieclip?

how do I put the whole stage into a movieclip?

I'm not sure if this is an actionScript3 question, or a general flashCS5.5 stage editing question (i'm using Windows76bit):

HISTORY:
    I've made a complicated animation, with many different layers, tweening at different times.
    Now that I'm all done, I realize I should have put it all in a movieclip in the first place (so I could do things to it easily, in Actionscript).

PROBLEM (A):
    I can't just select everything and right click and choose "convert to symbol" (if I do, any layer that has animation is left out. for some reason).

PROBLEM (B):
    I tried writing action script code that says
    var canvas_mc = new MovieClip();
    canvas_mc.addChild(stage.root); //(I've also tried just canvas_mc.addChild(stage);

but this gives the "TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference."

I'm guessing it's a no no to just add the current stage into a MC(?). help?

(p.s. I've only been able to turn up one site via Google that talked about this (which advised adding the whole stage to a movie clip... which strikes me as suspect). would anyone suggest better search terms than "AS3 convert stage to movieclip")
    Last edited by warrenEBB; 02-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.

The easiest way I can think of to do this would be to copy all the frames in your timeline that are currently on the stag regardless of layer. Then create a new Movie clip and add the equal number of layers that are on the stage timeline. You should be able to shift-select all the empty keyframes of those layers and past every frame from your stage's timeline.

That's normally how I do it anyways