A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 8.0 stopped working in Windows 7

Flash 8.0 stopped working in Windows 7

I am running Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion PC, and have had my old copy of Flash 8.0 (authoring prog) running on it just fine. I activated my pre-installed copy of Office 2010 & installed an update for the Adobe Reader (I have also recently upgraded my Nortons trial to the regular, but I only mention it FYI)... afterwards I could not start Flash 8.0 - a pop-up says the command could not be sent to the program and another window popped up below telling me that a running program is changing the color theme to Windows 7 basic... I have uninstalled the Office suite & the Reader to see if they caused this, but Flash 8.0 still doesn't open. Is any of this related? Elsewhere I hear Flash 8.0 may not be compatible with Windows, and something about the Aero theme in Windows 7 may be a pointer...? Please assist! Thank you!

I run Flash 8 on Windows 7, 64 bit... no problem... but I do get that "changing color theme" message... but it's never stopped Flash from opening or working.
    VM

I've managed to get Flash 8.0 to run on Win7 by finally running across a post about changing the previous Win version it will run happily under (95). However, all my previous and current .SWF outputs from, say, Swift3D are showing up on my 'puter as IE files, but these can't be imported into Flash for animating, as I could before. What need I do to fix this?

OWW.. not sure about any Swift3D issues... sorry.
    VM

I don't believe it is a Swift3D issue - I was merely mentioning the progs in my workflow. The problem is likely with Win7 - what do I need to do to make these .SWF files show up and play all by themselves as .SWF files, and not IE files? Before Win7 I never ever had a problem with these sorts of things...

A .swf file will play in the Flash Player... by itself only on machine that have the Flash program installed... which you do it sounds like.... otherwise the .swf will open in a Web browser which has the Flash pluggin installed.
    So what seems to be happening is that
    1. The Flash .swf is not finding the Flash program
    2. the .swf does not have the Flash program as it's "file association" or program used to open these type of files. This can be set to whatever program by the way. For example, you could associate MSWord with .swf files ... result.. won't open in Word so opens in Browser instead.

To change/check file association,
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ses-by-default
    Best of luck!
    VM