A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Action Script

Action Script

Hi there
    I have been looking through many tutorials and it becomes clear that knowing Action Script increases the possibilities of KM enormously. But how do I learn this? My question is if there are any known tutorials to help put me on the road of learning Action Script, considering I am pretty much of a total novice?
    Thanks for your time.

Since Koolmoves is AS3 compatible, most any site teaching AS3 will be of enormous help. In my Sig there is also a link to the AS3 online docs which I use often.

Start with learning how to place a button on the stage and recieving a click event using ONLY AS3 code and you will be well on your way.

Hello dustbsh and Bret. Its been awhile since I've been around but for me (a novice still!) it was spending a bunch of time here, the language docs, studying other peoples stuff, and then I purchased a pretty good book for beginners:

ActionScript 3.0 by Derrick Ypenburg
    http://www.amazon.com/ActionScript-3.../dp/0321564251

The little app invented by Wilbert is great to use in conjunction with Koolmoves while learning ActionScript. Go to the KoolExchange under Tools and download the FlashLog Viewer. The book mentioned earlier and other tutorials I have seen use some type of viewer.

You can also look at a few of my experiences by searching for "learning from books" on this forum. I also have a blog (in my signature) that I have uploaded a few simple tutorials with the intent that other new users might find beneficial. Its all mixed with other stuff though so you have to search through it.

Since I have been gone these last two years I haven't done anything with Koolmoves, but now that I am back I hope to continue with the AS3 learning and exploring the new version 8 Koolmoves which I just upgraded to.

Have fun with koolmoves!

The reason you want to use a the FlashLog Viewer is that by using the ActionScript trace statement...trace(), you will be able to see what your code is doing. Many times the results of Actionscript have no visual cue, so it is good to have a Flash Viewer and use the trace statement. I have a tutorial on the trace statement at my blog.
    Last edited by blanius; 06-24-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Good to see you back dude