A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is Flash a perfect solution for Kiosk Application Development?

Is Flash a perfect solution for Kiosk Application Development?

Hi Friends,

I have an upcoming project where an interactive kiosk application needs to be designed/ developed in Flash. While I was making search if Flash would be an ideal and appropriate technology for this purpose, I felt like asking fellow professionals if Flash or Silverlight should be the choice. If anyone has done such kind of project earlier, please share your experience (Scope of your project, research you made and difficulties you faced while development, etc.).

Also please consider that the application needs to be portable across many platforms like android and to be viewed on handheld devices like tablets and smartphone, etc.

Thanks in advance.

@abhijit: This is somehow confusing to me as you said you are going to develop KIOSK Application then after you are mentioning that it will also run on Android and Tablets and SmartPhones. To me KIOSK is a Standalone ATM Like Machine with a net or LAN connection for communications with a touchscreen features.

What exactly you are attempting for?

If you want to know Silverlight VS Flash then on this Date Flash is the right choice. If you are going to ask which language is the best to develop KIOSK, then it will hard to tell because there are many technologies around to develop such application according to the need. Flex/FlashBuilder AIR might be the winner for Cross Platform Application which you might looking for.

Java and C++ is on other hand.

To answer your question, needs more specific specification about your requirements.

arkitx

Hi Arkitx! Thanks for the reply.

Let me explain : Mine is a Flash Application consisting of a Feedback form to collect feedback from a customers coming in Shopping mall. This application is displayed in a Kiosk screen where user (Customer) can enter his information/ fedback with a touchscreen Kiosk.

In future, I want this application to be available on Handheld devices like Tablets and mobile smartphones so that user can give their feedback from these handheld devices.

I have made it successfully and tested it in 10 inches tablet too. But the problem I am facing is - when user clicks (taps) on an input field, it takes him twice or even thrice to get it activated. Also the buttons are not smothly functioning. It requires twice, thrice or even more clicks (taps) to function. It adds to users frustration. Is there any way we can make it work in single click or single tap?

Please note that there is not Internet Explorer involved in it.

Thanks.

may I ask you a question?

What is the OS of your 10" Tablet?

My suggestion is to develop native Application with Native Languages.

marlopax

Flash is problably NOT the best solution right now for any mobile application for several reasons. The most glaring is that Adobe has abandoned any future development.

Steve Jobs won.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well written, with a good look at design in general rather than anything web specific.
    It's showing it's age a bit now as it was published in 1989 originally and some of his discussion is aimed at obviously out of date products. Even so, it's definitely worth getting hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by rynoe View Post
    Flash is problably NOT the best solution right now for any mobile application for several reasons. The most glaring is that Adobe has abandoned any future development.

Steve Jobs won.
    Steve won the battle for his app marketplace. However flash based content is continued to be supported trough the adobe AIR platform for mobile devices.