A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: your future with flash

Question your future with flash

i've recently started getting back into flash and i love it. however, after posting some flash online and asking my girlfriend to view it with here i phone we find out iphone/ipad/blackberry dont even support flash, so it leaves me with a few options and i' wondering what options users here will take with flash now that half the internet is viewing from mobile devices that dont support flash.

for me i can see three main choices:

#1 start with a whole new software to make animations in html5. this seems like such a waste. flash to me is so perfect for my needs and the new programs seem so overly complicated for no reason....

#2 countinue to work with flash and hope that mobile devices will one day start being able to view flash.

#3 countinue to work with flash and hope a decent html5 converter comes along and can convert flash properly. (swiffer from google seems to do an ok job but is still very far off with buttons and audio)

any other ideas out there. its such a disappointing shock to find out. i really really love flash and all it can do, i would hate to have to leave it for somthing else....

thanks in advance for thoughts and info
    keep it real players

Moble devices can use flash!

Get an Android phone if you want flash on mobile. Google's android system supports flash just fine and they are gaining on the mobile market.

Flash isn't going away any time soon. HTML5 is just not robust enough to replace it. Most developers I talk to say it's another 5-10 years before HTML5 is fully developed, and who knows what will happen in that time.

I have heard the "Flash is dead" rant for the last 3 years, yet I still see it all over the web. This thing was just Apple's latest target.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

True, some Android devices do have Flash. The problem being of course that Adobe has stopped developing the mobile version of the plugin. (Not to mention cutting back their Linux development, transferred Flex to the open source community, etc.) I wouldn't recommend waiting for devices to support Flash, at least not as part of their browser.

It all depends on what you're developing and where you want to deliver it. Are you developing games? 3D content? It's possible to develop that in Flash and bundle it into an app, including an app that will run on iPhones.

If you want to deliver on the web, HTML5 is the way to go. Flash CS6 has an HTML5 export option (though somewhat limited), and Adobe is currently developing a tool called Edge (labs.adobe.com) that is similar to Flash.

I wasn't really that impressed with Edge. Here is some tutorials Adobe made for edge. here
    By the way, you need flash to view the tutorials.

I'm more interested in flash CS6 thats coming out this month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

great replys and info thank you,

i have a goofy ecard site that uses flash animation. my plan is to stick with flash, at least utill somthing comes along that works fairly good, i wasnt impressed with edge either. and alot of other html5 animaton software either for that matter.

for me the bottom line is flash works, really really really well for my needs, its simple and i love the finished product.

i think for me i will just keep using flash and hope all the mobile devices out there will start to conform to flash. but at the same time i would hate to miss out on getting a jump on learning new software and possibly getting an advantage by using html5 software. its confusing and exciting times....thanks for info
    keep it real players

rdoyle720 is correct though, flash is on it's way out. However it is going to be a while before anything can really replace it. My guess is that we have yet to see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you think that HTML5 is scoring over and above Flash then I will like to tell you that by the time we have advanced HTML5 authoring tool, Adobe will develop and update its Flash to publish HTML5 and SWF of the same FLA and that is the future....

At the 1st go Adobe might apply some restrictions but gradually it will take over again and by the time HTML5 really hijacks the market, SWF format shall be supported on all mobile devices.....
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

thanks for the info from everyone, my main question when i posted this thread was who will convert first

will mobile devices convert to view flash
    or
    will the web convert flash to be viewed on mobile

after spending the last few days downloading swf to html5 converter after converter, and after downloading html5 animation software after software it is painfully clear that the technology simpily isnt there for flash/animation to convert to be viewed on mobile devices.

so i tend to now lean on the side that says that mobile devices will be the first to convert to be able to view flash. for two basic reasons:

#1 i dont believe for a second that mobile devices dont have enough power to view flash. the iphone that can be used as a cell, internet viewer, gps, compass, guitar tuner cant conquer the mighty swf file? are you f*ing serious? i think the technology is there and it will be put in place soon because of a very clear reason #2

#2 the public gets what it wants. i think there are thousands of angry customers out there who want to view flash and other files and i'm sure they will yell long and loud enough to have mobile view flash files. there is far more money to be made in having mobile devices that can view flash than in the web converting everything to mobile. but overall i think the public is such a pain in the ass they will complain enough to get what they want. and apple/iphone may have the power right now, but as soon as another company comes out with the technology that can view the entire internet apple/iphone/ipad is toast....
    keep it real players

I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree, my friend. The momentum in the industry is away from Flash, not toward it. Even more strongly now that Adobe has stopped developing the mobile version of the plug-in. If you're developing for the web and want to support iPhone/iPad (and those numbers are nothing to sneeze at), you have to go with HTML5.

Don't get me wrong, I think Flash is a great and powerful tool, but if you plan to wait for mobile devices to support Flash, I'm afraid you'll be waiting a long time.

haha, i'm sure your right, its just incredibly painful to accept, haha, at least pretend i'm partially right so i can vent.

its made even more frustrating because:

if you want to convert your existing flast to html5....YOU CANT

if you want to animate in html5....YOU CANT

i've download and tried just about every converter, online and software, i've downloaded every html5 animation software, it all sucks, big big time.

my hopes for now is to keep using flash, and then find a really decent converter (i'm sure its coming in the next few years) and convert my swf files to html5.

who knows maybe there will be a really fast easy to use program that i will be able to animate with in the future. its just so disappointing that i would have to give up the flash i know and really love to have to learn it. for me you cant improve on somthing that is perfect to you. so to throw away my flash software to have to use another program that works half as good seems ridiculous!

so my best hope is that swf is supported on mobile soon, if that doesnt happen the next best thing is that a decent converter comes out that can convert my swf to html5, if that doesnt happen the next best thing is to find a decent html5 software that is as easy and great as my favorite flash software....

so anyway, heres being optomistic to the future! because it would be awesome to be able to see my animations on my phone....so that would be cool....

thanks for the infos
    keep it real players

Quote Originally Posted by muideka View Post

so anyway, heres being optomistic to the future! because it would be awesome to be able to see my animations on my phone....so that would be cool....
    If you have an android phone and CS5.5+ you can see it now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

while on the subject, i'm curious to hear what people are looking for?

a converter to convert to html5 so you can keep using flash?

or a whole other software to create html5 animation?

like rynoe mentioned i dont think we have seen either one yet that realistically replaces flash....
    keep it real players

to post an update to my situation, i have found a software that comes very close to covering my animtion needs and whats even better it creates decent html5 animations!

i posted the software and sample here, hope this helps if anyone is looking for somthing similar to me, a animation software (that is afforable) that can create html5 animation that can be viewed on all browsers, ipad and iphone

my sample animation post and software:
    http://www.board.flashkit.com/board/...72#post4299872
    keep it real players

Upgrade to Flash cs5 and you can create flash games for the Android and iphone, very simple. I love flash too.

You can animate in HTML5

HTML5 has the canvas element, which is essentially very similar to the stage element in flash. Google brought out swiffy Google Swiffy which converts AS2 animations to HTML5 Canvases, and can apparently deal with interactions as well (though I've never used it) so long as they're in AS2.

The only thing is... obviously ... old internet explorers can't do anything with it. But I'd rather not support old internet explorers than new mobile phones.

Dave

Personally, I find all this discussion about HTML5 spelling the demise of Flash sort of puzzling. Cross-platform web development is not fun. Stupid browser quirks were what drove many people to Flash in the first place. That's why Flex exists. The fact that we can count on Flash to behave consistently across different browsers and different operation systems is a massive plus.