A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Trouble using getDepth() when using dynamic instance names

Red face Trouble using getDepth() when using dynamic instance names

I am using Flash (as2) to create an interface that allows the user to move, scale and change the stacking order of externally loaded assets (ie. images, swfs). My problem is that I can do this:

myimgdepth2 = this._parent._parent._parent.slidetemplate.templat e1.asset_container.image_1.getDepth();

but I can't do this:

path = "_parent._parent._parent.slidetemplate.template1.a sset_container.image_1";
    myimgdepth=this[path].getDepth();

I need to be able to create this 'path' variable (as opposed to hard-coding it) because it will change based on user input...(ie. choice of template, etc). The above example is just the simplest way I could think of to test things.

Could it be a data-typing situation? Am I referencing things wrong?

I tried it 3 different ways (thinking that the 'this' in 'this[path].getDepth()' could be to blame), but still - everything is tracing out as undefined.
    //path = "this._parent._parent._parent.slidetemplate.templa te1.asset_container.image_1";
    //path = "_root.slidetemplate.template1.asset_container.ima ge_1";
    path = "_parent._parent._parent.slidetemplate.template1.a sset_container.image_1";

I was wondering if anyone could see anything glaringly obvious that I'm missing - or just don't know about.
    ~ thanks! I appreciate the time it took you to even read this getDepth-forum-post-screenshot.jpg

I just took off the quotes (facepalm) and it's not undefined anymore...now I'm getting this...

depth using variable for instance name: -16384
    depth old school style: 1000

...the plot thickens...

Hi,

Perhaps post your fla here to be looked at