Hello,

I am using Flash CS5, AS3 on a W7 machine.

I'm a newbie to Flash and AS. I just finished Foundation Game Design with Flash with what I felt was no problems. I just started Advanced Game Design with Flash and hit a wall immediately. The book has a link to downloadable source code which I did download and then expanded. The book tells me I can pretty much place the source code anywhere I want as long as I -
  1. Set the path preferences for AS3 correctly and...
  2. Set up the file structure for each project properly

I followed the instructions as closely as I am capable but I kept getting the following error -

D:\Flash\AdvancedGameDesign\com\friendsofed\utils\ StatusBox.as, Line 1 5001: The name of package 'com.friendsofed.utils' does not reflect the location of this file. Please change the package definition's name inside this file, or move the file. D:\Flash\AdvancedGameDesign\com\friendsofed\utils\ StatusBox.as

Currently I have the preferences ActionScript - ActionScript 3.0 Settings - Source path set to -

D:\Flash\AdvancedGameDesign\com\

The package definition's name inside the file "StatusBox.as" is -

Code:
package com.friendsofed.utils

The package "StatusBox.as" itself is located at -

D:\Flash\AdvancedGameDesign\com\friendsofed\utils

Obviously I don't have a very good grasp on packages and/or setting up paths in preferences. If someone could please help me understand what I am doing wrong I would dearly appreciate it. If any additional information is needed please let me know and I will do everything I can to get it on here. I do very much wish to continue with my learning but I've been beating this poor brain pan of mine against this wall for 3 days now.

Thank you all in advance for your time and efforts!

Best,

Jay