A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 8, AS2, Embedded video in movieclip, plays fine but pixellated, smoothing ???

Flash 8, AS2, Embedded video in movieclip, plays fine but pixellated, smoothing ???

Hi Guys,

I have just placed an embedded video on the time line.
    Its esentially a movieclip inside which theres a video right on the timeline.
    Playback etc is fine. Its just pixellated/blocky when scaled to full screen and i need to set it to smooth.

The Movieclip does have an instance name and i tried giving it
    VideoMc.smoothing=true;
    and that doesnt work.

Would someone please help ?

Thanks
    Last edited by plainman007; 08-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Hi,

Does this help?
    PHP Code:
    function DoResize()
    {

VideoMc.smoothing true;
    }

Stage.addListener({onResize:DoResize}); 

Hi,

I tried it. And it doesnt work too.

Also i should comment that the video is 1000x400 by native size and there is no resizing going on within the webpage.
    Im just trying to use a small 2 second video clip as a fullscreen transition. So my stage/project size is 1000x400 and
    ivce rendered a video of the exact same size. Its only when the video gets played on my larger lcd monitor it gets very
    obviously blocky.

And looking at it fairly thats a 1000x400 size page running on a 1400x900 monitor. Not blowing it 3x or 4x times either.
    Also softness i can live with. Its the blocky pixellated look thats makes it look awful.

Any other options ?

Hi,

As the video is only 2 seconds long why not make a series of stills at good resolution with smoothing set to true.

you might want to also try using
    PHP Code:
    Stage.scaleMode "exactFit"
    although that may make the rest of the movie skew wiff, worth trying though.
    or it could be as you say just a ratio thing, although you can change ratios.

Hi,

Not its not ratios. The movie is not skewed or disorted. Its an exact fit. Yet it pixellated and i imported it by dragging an mp4 video onto flash which then gave me options and i chose to have embeded to swf timeline option.

Now theres a smoothing method that works well with FLVPlayback component, but FLVPlayback doesnt work with embedded video right, i can only specify a progressively downloading video.

I really need to get this to work. Do you have a small mp4 clip you can drag onto your stage and try the basic VideoMc.smoothing=true; technique and see if it works for you ? Would be of great help.

Regards

Hi,

I have albeit with an flv not an mp4 and the smoothing works.

CS6 also says mp4 not a valid file type for embedded video.
    Last edited by fruitbeard; 08-05-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Can you please tell me the process by which you imported the video onto the stage and then the actual script you used please ?

OK,

In the library select new video, select embedded, then import it (flv), drag to stage from library accept the frames bit then position and give instance name,

code:
    PHP Code:
    Stage.scaleMode "exactFit";
    Stage.align "TL";
    VideoMc.smoothing true;
    /* below optional, probably not needed
    function DoResize()
    {
    VideoMc.smoothing = true;
    }
    Stage.addListener({onResize:DoResize});
    DoResize();
    */ 

If you wish to zip up your project with vid and link to it perhaps I can be of more help.

Or just the video bit.

I have a feeling you may have your video inside another mc embedded, so therefore it would be
    PHP Code:
    clipName.VideoMc.smoothing true
    Last edited by fruitbeard; 08-05-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Hi,

Thank you so much for pointing out my stupid error. I missed that it was inside a movieclip. But part of it was because i didnt perceive that the video clip, which runs like a timeline is a clip/object of its own inside the movie clip. Only after you hinted did i realize that another instance name was applicable within the movieclip holding the videotimeline.

Thank you so much for helping.

PS : A very basic concluding question. How does one select a movie clip which is below another ? (without using arrange > send to back etc as that will rearrange things permanantly). What if i have 2 clips exactly the same size one on top of the other and i wanted to select and go into the timeline of the clip which was below the top one. I have been trying to use tab to circle thru clips like this. Is there a better way to open/enter a particular clip on the stage itself (not via the library).

Hi,

By selecting the top one look at its instance name then press Tab button until the name you want appears.
    it will eventually get to the one you require.

Once you have the clip you require press ctrl E to edit it