A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Syncing user controlled sounds... How?

Syncing user controlled sounds... How?

Hey guys, I don't really know flash, but I'm putting together a digital batman comic with some friends (I'm doing the art and flash-work), and we're also putting music in with the pages.

Take a look: http://theformedblock.weebly.com/

Right now, it technically works, but the music for each page just starts as soon as you go to the next frame. I need it to sync up somehow. I'm also going to need to have loops stop (fade out would be better) on certain pages too.

How should I go about all this? I'm thinking I can use some sort of global time keeper to keep track of the beat somehow. (Can I have global functions running?) And then use that to have tracks begin on the beat I want using some sort of custom function. Right now the music is just linked to the frame. Is there a better way to play music than that?

I've done some lurking and I can't seem to find out how to accomplish this, so please forgive me if this question has already been answered?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Just an update. It seems like the way to go is to have every sound file playing from the beginning, but muted, and then to unmute the desired files for the given pages. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to do this. I fiddled around with the envelope thing, but it seems to always be based off of raw time.

So, if anyone could just tell me how to set it up to mute and unmute sound files at the press of a button, or manual change of a frame, I'd be set.

Thanks!