A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SWF to EXE.. yep.. again

SWF to EXE.. yep.. again

a lot of people ask this kinda thing so.. lets try it..

I'm looking for a EXE wrapper for a SWF file (game in the end). I still use AS2 (CS4). Now, I would like one that allows Dynamic screen res change which can be tied into a menu in the flash (so any with extended FScommands) but more important, one that allows Saving and loading of files (and reading) via dialogue boxes.

I've tried a few demos right now.. SWF Maestro seamed okay until it seamed it would only return a path to the save /load file, wouldn't allow me to READ the file to get the variables from it.

I tried the old SWFKit which seams the better one, but it seams discontinued (contacting the company for information has so far appeared useless) and while I can get the Dialogue boxes to work, the DataFile.save (or Datafile.saveAndEnc) commands don't seam to want to work. and the help is.. not helping ^_^;

I would try something like Northcodes program but I have a budget of around $50 and SWFStudio seams to include ALOT of stuff which means it's good for the price, but way more then what I want or need it for.

Any ideas?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Try contacting that Northcode guy and see if he'll give you a free promo copy. He doesn't give out a lot of freebies, but you might get lucky
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

^_^

possible. I'm currently just trying to make my own wrapper.. my C++ is a bit rusty though, but I'll try being nice to him if it fails ^_^

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Building your own wrapper isn't too hard, but it gets less fun when you want to support a lot of different machines running different versions of Windows, using different versions of the C++ runtimes etc. Support is generally a lot more time consuming than development
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

true.. Since I mostly need only Custom Icon, Title, Res and save/load external file (save) it shouldn't be too tricky. and I only got VS 6.. shouldn't need much more then the 3 dlls and flash player installed.. trouble right now (though surely not the only one) is calling the swf as a embedded resource..
    but...

well.. I wonder what a promo copy entails ^_^;.. or if they might want to start marketing a cut down version at a lower price end..

Naw.. custom Wrapper seams to be out of the question at the moment.. it doesn't want to play ball with me..
    So i'll think I'll send an e-mail ^_^