A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] How to open a BAK file in Corel Draw 5?

resolved [RESOLVED] How to open a BAK file in Corel Draw 5?

I have been having some troubles with my Corel Draw lately. First off, I no longer have the software so unfortunately re-installing is not an option. I’m really hoping there is another way around it.
    First off, I saved a .cdr file as I usually do, I went to open it and it keeps telling me ERROR READING so and so file. I have tried opening the BAK file but it keeps telling me to use a specific filter. When opening a file I try clicking on "Filter Information" and says none available. I have no clue about filtering or anything else. I am pretty new with this program. I’m not sure if it matters but I also have Adobe PageMaker and QuarkXpress. Is there anyway to export the file to one of these?
    I really don’t want to have to buy any additional software (hopefully this won’t happen again).
    I have honestly tried everything I can think of including burning the file onto disc and trying to open it from there.
    Any help what-so-ever would be greatly appreciated!

Opening Damaged or Corrupted CDR Files
    Details
    An error message is displayed when trying to open CDR files within CorelDRAW®.
    Answer
    If a problem is encountered while trying to OPEN a CDR file in CorelDRAW, try one of the following to determine if the file can be salvaged:
    Create a new document.
    Go to View | Wireframe.
    Import the file with the CDR filter.
    Or, convert the file to a CMX, using Media folders (Media folders can optionally be installed with CorelDRAW 8).
    Try opening the file in Corel PHOTO-PAINT® (Note this will result in a completely rasterized rendition of the CDR file).
    For a PC file, try opening on the Macintosh (or visa versa).
    These tips are work arounds that may allow a CDR file to be opened that contains a bad fill, style or maybe even font information. This information can be corrupted in various ways and is most prevalent on systems that have insufficient resources and haven't be optimized or maintained. In most cases corrupted or unopenable files is possible to repair by way to revert a previous backup. The importance of having backup files cannot be over-emphasized.
    ------------------
    If you want to try the MediaFolders suggestion above, then you should be able to download it with a demo version of Corel 12 - which I suggest you do and then try your file on there as well. Also, take a look if you have any .ABK files in your folder as well, since I think these are also Corel created auto backups. Lots of help you can find here: https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/t/274316

You've been very kind in your efforts to help. Thanks for that. Solved!