A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Operating System

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar

Flash Operating System

Hi this section is going to be about a project I am working on, basically what it is going to allow you to do is dump your as2/as3 swf into memory and allow you to use your swf as the operating system of your hardware. Right now it is midway done, it is basically a gutted out linux operating system that only loads up the swf you feed it. So if you are interested in the project, what you can start doing while you wait is to work on your swf make some windows and stuff like that so your swf starts looking like an operating system you would want to be on. For example I know fruitbeard has made a very operating system like flash client at http://fruitbeard.net/

the expected boot up time of the flash operating system is around 15-25 seconds I am trying to decrease it to a solid 10-15, and the expected file size of the kernel that loads your swf as the os so far is around 1.4gb but I would like to make it around 1.0 gb.

Down below I will include different build versions when I am ready to release something
    Last edited by AS3.0; 09-15-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Is this suppose to be a way to bypass using the flash player?

no it is basically like booting up windows, except the os is your flash file, I am going to leave some hooks that your swf can communicate with so than in your flash if you make wifi bars, you can check what the signal is etc you know basic stuff that an os would need

right click is going to be mapped to some strange unused keyboard key glyph, so the right click is basically going to be heard from a key listener event in flash to bring up your custom right click menu

Hi

I am touched with the amount of kudos you give alloy, but please spend more time getting your own working. Walk before you run so to speak.
    In not so sure about mine being an operating system. It has window type things sure.

As you like to let people know of my hobby site then it's only fair to let people take a peep at your in progression site. Maybe they can help.

http://www.skyizo/#home

Heres about how long it will take to boot up, I guess if you wanted to make some sort of cartridge system for our software you can put a different name in the loader but that loader would be about the amount of time for you to get to the swf:

Maybe

Ok I have my flash operating system pretty ready. Only actionscript 2.0 is allowed and it boots up in 20 seconds. I had an 18 second bootloader but I lost the file. And for the 20 second part we can put the loader in it to watch something atleast.

It runs on a pretty thin 2x2 inch circuit board and the lcd is the same size so it wont be a thick console at all, put together probably be as thin as an iphone 3gs. And the deck has wifi and we can add our own controls like a psp joystick and our cartridge with the swf in it. We need a sticker printer for the cartridge graphic.

price in parts:
    $14 lcd
    $10 motherboard
    $2 psp joystick
    $2 buttons
    $2 battery
    custom housing can be made $2 material and use cnc to cut out its design.
    cartridge + sd inside can make for probably $4
    Last edited by AS3.0; 07-18-2018 at 10:51 PM.

If you want to make a game for it:

stage size: 550x400

Language = as2.0

Minimum font size: 40 recommended, the font in the video was 70pt

cartridge sticker graphic size: 48x48

and than give me price you want me to sell your cartridge game at.

I wouldn't use to many movieclips, try to keep it 15 or under for now, sprites even better or bitmaps.

Use very efficient code as you can and don't leave unnecessary things running like onenterframes.
    Last edited by AS3.0; 07-18-2018 at 11:29 PM.

New bootloader animation and 18 second boot time for the swf file.

next boot goal: (16 seconds)

If no one comments im not going to post on this thread anymore.