A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3d combined objects

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar

3d combined objects

Hi, in flash as3 there are a lot of things you can do in 3d, for example this flash 3d game: http://skyizo.com/3d_demo.swf , but it is really hard for 2 3d items to share a space like in this hitman game where 2 people are inside of each other with insane sharing of depths, it is almost like each pixel has its own xyz depth space, how can it be done in flash:

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    You don't render scenes or do collision detection at the pixel level, there's too much information to process. Instead you build 3d models that represent the objects and render them using textured polygons. I doubt anyone is investing in building new 3D engines for Flash anymore but you can check out Stage3D (built into Flash) or a third party engine like Away3D.
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

Well at that point I cant be laying out the 3d movieclips and using rotationX Y Z on it, goto do pure math for that... Come to think of it that must be the most impressive thing a game can do maybe that's why they called it hitman, when you hit the man you see the intense depth that's happening. I am beginning to notice that flash runs 3d really good though and with good math a xbox looking game can be done.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    The model specifies how resistant each node in the model is to deformation and the physics engine sits on top of that to figure out how the model should react when a collision happens. This allows for some very realistic interactions.
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

I cant say this version I made for 3D intersecting is the most dev-friendly written, but its my first and I released the source code in video link for flashkitters, maybe a future version will help make intersecting many movieclips much easier, but for now you can enjoy just 1 intersection:

i'm the Best of doing nothing
    1st of all, the video is not exists anymore..

and 2nd, flash is not designed for 3D pretty much.
    you can use Library like Swift3D or even i recommend Away3D for those kind of stuff. but on both cases, the graphics gonna be very low and not pretty for modern game style.

if you still want to continue with 3D, you should check for collisions using Sin and Cos from Math library. cant help you more than that cuz i dont know what exactly you want to do, no example of your current project or whatever you stuck with.