A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ActionScript 2 is better, a nostalgic look back. [ActionScript 2 vs ActionScript 3]

ActionScript 2 is better, a nostalgic look back. [ActionScript 2 vs ActionScript 3]

Not that it matters anymore, but many of us came from Flash and the earliest of us remember fondly the ease of use of Flash before it turns in *OOP everything* hell hole.

I have been using ActionScript 3 since the day it went official, but I have always had this feeling that "something is wrong" compared to what it was before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzulYJnTCo

It was fun before...real fun, and things get done quickly.

Not that it matters anymore.

But to all you Flash lovers out there like me who were there before AS3, this is my toast to myself and all of you !

Please message me if any of you still love AS2, I am trying to form a small community of us old souls, maybe have a YouTube interview to reminiscent old times !

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    as2 was faster and had less features than as3, they say as2 is specially bad because it can not be on android/iphone but I saw you can run as2 on mobile browsers like dolphin browser/flashfox even extract the flash dll libflashplayer.so runtime from the app on your desktop and make use of it if you know what you are doing, but as3 has way more features that wont be needing 3rd party software to get done, anways as3 you can make your very own packaged software with icon and everything for android/iphone/desktops, even as2/as3 can control hardware motors/leds were just getting started.

as3 air mobile packaging I was able to make 16 sales between ios/android in my first year, where I would get around 50 app downloads a week if I published it for free, even if I lost some as2 would never give me some sort of income/community to start dealing with.

I almost feel terrible for shutting down my servers for my multiplayer users when I found out I couldn't pay the rent to be in the store another year.
    Last edited by AS3.0; 04-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    Anways, I am interested in your as2 group, I think one thing we need to do for as2 is make a single program or thread on this forum that uses all of the functions as2 has because there is almost no more as2 support, you can barely find online resources to setup an as2 socket anymore. I know a lot of languages that we cant do anymore because they simply lost support and theres no threads to simplify it for you.
    Last edited by AS3.0; 04-11-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Bacon View Post
    I almost feel terrible for shutting down my servers for my multiplayer users when I found out I couldn't pay the rent to be in the store another year.
    See this is what gets me emotionally everytime, watching what you love die...because you just can't anymore...
    Bro, I can help you, I know of a way to make AS2 work for your app, but you have to sacrifice ONE thing, your app will not be able to play sound.
    Other than that, your swf will be as is, no change needed, will you be kwel with that ?

I am thinking of making either a what'sApp group or something, I am expecting a group of less than 10 people very passionate about AS2, we will be just a small and tight group.

What do you have in mind please suggest as well.

i'm the Best of doing nothing
    my thoughts on AS2 vs AS3 after i seen this video,
    i dont agree with him..
    for example, the button he used on AS2 can be very simalar function on AS3, no need to export it to custom Class. so i dont agree with that.
    also you just attached an actionscript into a button and not a frame.. wtf is that? where is the simplicity? you actually have to check each button and each script to find your "mistake" that you are looking for..
    that doesn't sounds convenient.

i also prefer this set of commands:
    MyButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,<FuncNa me>)

function <FuncName(e:MouseEvent):void{
    //On Click command here
    }

i like it MORE than as2. its more powerful and easier to read.

Example:

btw, even on sounds i dont agree with you.
    i use only 1 command to run my sounds (if its on external Class)
    and using "Stream" feature if i want to put the Sound effect inside frames so i can start/stop whenever i want..

but thats only my opinion, you can agree with me or disagree, i personally prefer as3 cuz its more suitable for big and heavy code such as im doing right now with my RPG on my Games thread..

I am thinking of making either a what'sApp group or something, I am expecting a group of less than 10 people very passionate about AS2, we will be just a small and tight group.
    just create an app inside AS2 instead ^^
    Last edited by gogetax1; 04-12-2019 at 05:49 AM.

There is no "him", you can just address me directly instead, I am the creator of the video.

Hey don't worry about it, the FACT that we are still talking about it.
    There are only a few of us Flash loving people left, everyone have left the building and left their poop on the door.

We are all friends here.
    I am currently outside, I will see your video while on the train.

i'm the Best of doing nothing
    yeah actually thats too bad even for AS3, it will soon come to end also.
    almost noone uses AS3 anymore, they all changed to HTML5. apparently it's more powerful?
    so, year 2020 end of adobe?