A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Working on a New RPG (Hopefully MMO) [no title yet]

i'm the Best of doing nothing

Red face Working on a New RPG (Hopefully MMO) [no title yet]

Hello everyone, i been working for a past few weeks on a project for my spare time,
    i wanted to create one of those Survival mmorpg games that there is, where you can farm trees and build your self from ground up.

so far, i got few things done:
    - Fluid UI
    - PHP, ActionScript3 communication for login/Register
    - Picking a character screen
    - also made some my own physics engine to work with (after you done the register and Create Character menus you will be inside a game)
    - Physics for Ground, Platform detection
    - Jumping and go down one level of platform.

if you guys interested in my code or how i got those stuff done, i can release the fla file for you.

Note that when you register, please do NOT use your own password because the passwords are not encrypted yet.
    you can pick Male/Female and start bouncing in the game.

My RPG

also at later stages, i would like to add some sound effects/music and custom character assets. (don't look at the current assets, i just found them somewhere, not sure if it's legal to use though) but i still using them just for tests..

please tell me what you guys think about this game im working on, did you like the idea?

OK, i got new Update everyone,
    so today i was hoping to make some more work, but i decided to stop and fix some of the problems i had with the UI of the login screen.
    i decided to make an a Resize event, so all the UI will be resized according to screen resolution of the stage.

Before the Resize Option (Video)

After I implemented the Resize option (Video)

All of the updates will be automatically at my 1st Thread so you guys can keep track of whats done.

Edit:
    for some reason, i cannot update my 1st thread. not sure why.. MODS?
    Bug.png
    Last edited by gogetax1; 04-09-2019 at 09:56 AM.

One thing to keep in mind for networking is there are 2 different main protocols for computers to communicate. They are TCP and UDP. TCP is more reliable for making sure no data is lost. UDP is for a faster connection. What this means is for playing a multiplayer game like risk, TCP would be best. If you need something realtime like a first person shooter like Halo, UDP is best. Here are some documentation dealing with actionscript networking: TCP and UDP. The problem is that UDP is only available as an adobe AIR application. You can't use it as a web application as far as I can tell. Here's some example code of a basic example: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-to-local-port.

yes i know those stuff,
    i've been using UDP and TCP/IP protocols for few other projects not in AS3 area, im more than 10 years "playing" with those socket types.

my current way of handling things is to use 2 kind of servers:
    1st server is an Account Server, that uses MySQL with PHP commands inside flash
    2nd server gonna be the TCP/IP one, not gonna bother with the UDP at all..

yesterday i messed up with some of my Login Server commands as i seen, someone couldn't register normally. i fixed the problem for now, you are able to Login mr. kaws with same password u used before. (no need to register again)

i'm also planning to have a Map Editor for my game (that i'm currently working on) because without a Map Editor, there is no point building a big MMORPG..
    im building those stuff step by step the easy way.
    so far, i got an Exporter for Tile map sets, so it can be used in Server, Client and Map Editor.

this how exporter looks like:
    Tile-Set.png

so basically, my idea is to create a reference object in my server, so everytime you run the game, those new Tile Maps will be updated from the Loading Screen, and no need to download/upload new exe file.
    At the moment i'm using Web to run my flash project is just for test, not more than that.

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    Nice engine features so far I got to test it abit on the stairs seems like it can be fun for flashkit when its ready, one thing I will say is I through away my rack servers and other languages because I can host all on adobe air for mobile devices, I have a 150mb map that needs to get compressed to 100kb everytime a online player adds something to the map which is heavy for the main server, so what is good about air mobile is I can have a side mobile phone do the compressing and locally give the compressed bytes back to the main mobile server, so basically you can just buy a bunch of cracked screen iphones/androids to do side tasks for your main server not to be at 100% cpu when doing a big task, just have them communicate local tcp socket to pass stuff around.

One thing you should add is the feature I recently added to my MMO, where players can find real pennies through out the game that go to your paypal balance instantly, all the game needs is the users paypal email to earn, where I can set limits such as 500 cents to find a day max for all the online players to find together is a small price to pay if I want my users to consider paying me $1.99 a month for premium.

If you think about it as a more mature hardworking older person it is really a sad story and not satisfying at all for anyone to find a coin in a game if it isn't really going to your paypal balance. For example in the song for my video below it sounds like the girl is like "heyyy, heyy" as if she is avoiding playing video games with someone who invited her and showing that the cool coin sounds to you really mean nothing to her at all but she will play with you for once.

Last edited by AS3.0; 04-10-2019 at 02:03 AM.

One thing you should add is the feature I recently added to my MMO, where players can find real pennies through out the game that go to your paypal balance instantly, all the game needs is the users paypal email to earn, where I can set limits such as 500 cents to find a day max for all the online players to find together is a small price to pay if I want my users to consider paying me $1.99 a month for premium.
    i'm not sure if you are serious or not, The idea is great! but its not on my To-Do list yet. and i dont think ill implement this idea though ^^
    i want this game will have his own "style" so this money harvesting idea doesn't fits right..

new Update:
    i've finished the Map Exporter, so the New tile sets, i create, i give them Properties like: Tile Name, Frame, hasCollision and other stuff, then i export them to my PHP server as a ByteArray file,
    so when i use Map Editor or my game, i already have those Tile Data reference automatically. so, no need to add those Tile Objects again x4 times across all of my projects (PHP Server, Map Exporter, Game Engine and Map Editor)

New update for you guys,
    last 2 days been working on a Tile Map Editor,
    so far, i got some basic stuff done:

- Dragable Menus
    - Snap Tool
    - Asset select Tool
    - Drag accross the Map on different areas
    - Snap Value changer (since im using 128x128 tile maps, the snap is 128 also )
    - Tile map remover popup (you can remove multiply items in same time)
    - Basic Selection tool, by right Clicking u are able to select items you want to Snap or remove. cool stuff ^^

Video:

Yeah tools for admins to layout things on the map are great so the real players can come in to try it out, no real player would want a map builder unless it was for there own private space they can invite users to be in.

New Update

more progress!

Map Editor:
    i've finally created the Map Editor to a level where it actually works!
    you can use any assets on the tool bar (as long as i included it manually.) - i want to control the assets myself, so the engine will stay clean all the way.
    i will manually add more assets as i see it fits.
    now the Map Editor exports all into a data file at the server so the game Client can read the map data correctly.

Game Client
    at the game client side, i made it more stable at the Login/registration, now it actually checks if its bad password or wrong login, it also sees if the information you entered is legit to use.
    same goes at Character Selection panel.

the Client also communicates with the server to get the Tile Map Data, so all the data will be SYNCED automatically.

also implemented so the camera also moves along with the character and i must tell you, THAT WASN'T EASY i need to move all the tiles along with the player, so decreasing the player movement while increasing the tile opposite movement speed. same goes for X and Y positions of the character. still have few issues with the camera while checking the collision, but overall, everything looks smooth and good.

give it a try at:
    http://streamsniffer.com/myrpg

note: you have to CTRL + F5 to refresh the webpage in order to remove the old cookies from the website.

By the way, i think my character is little bit smaller than the map, don't you think so guys?

tell me what you guys think about the small project i'm doing with nearly dead flash ^^

characters size is great, pretty neat that it follows the player but do you load and unload map parts so you can go far? and when are you releasing multiplayer? I might release multiplayer for mine when you do, its that when I re-scripted the whole thing I didn't re-add multiplayer yet but players can see eachother drop things on the map. Are you using socket? my socket port from now on is 2812
    Last edited by AS3.0; 04-13-2019 at 09:48 PM.

characters size is great, pretty neat that it follows the player but do you load and unload map parts so you can go far?
    so far, i only hiding them.. i see the FPS stays about 60-62 for me, so no problems with map size and collision calculations.
    but in far future, when i will see a dramatic FPS decrease, i will add some map unloads. my plan is to make the Server calculate where the X/Y character is and send the "load this area" on the client. that way i can actually make the game: Massive Multiplayer.

and when are you releasing multiplayer?
    it will take a while. since i have a lot of stuff to fix, since im working on Map Editor AND Game it self. the mmo will be added once ill be happy with the results up until now.
    so basically, right now, i've stopped progressing the coding. i need to fix the current bugs i have atm. once its done, ill post my progress as a video of my current progress, ill make a playable demo and then ill start working on my server side. it should be fairly easy.

Are you using socket? my socket port from now on is 2812
    I've created or at least "played" with TCP/IP and UDP sockets since i was 20, it was about 11 years ago. i never did it on flash so for me it will require some research. i don't think it will be hard though.
    I am using 2999 for Client(remote) and 3000 for server (lcoal) so i can run both of them on same PC without issues.

There are alot of sites with users that are looking for games to play, when signing up for about 50 forums with users that are looking for RPG's to play I got atleast 16 installs/ip visits in 1 day from my standalone swf, but I think they are expecting something more launch & play & less sign up.